• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Neighbor a Fire Hazard and Roach Souirce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jessepenitent

What is the name of your state?

Connecticut

I'll try to be succinct and that isn't going to be easy. In our two story, twelve unit condo lives a very elderly woman: sweet as can be, generous to a fault and filthier than Pigpen. Her home is a blaze waiting to happen. Stuff isn't just piled up--it is a solid, almost six foot layer from the door on through the whole unit. She collects things that (she says) she takes to homeless shelters and so forth, but nothing ever leaves and more and more keeps going in. Her toilet is broken, her stove is stuffed full of old clothes and food and the stench is unbelievable when she opens the door.

Most of us dealt with this by upping our fire insurance, but now that she is leaving out stale and rotting food among the old clothes, plastic bags, boxes, nick-nacks, mason jars (name it and it's in there) she has attracted roaches and the roaches have infested all the other eleven units.

We started calling the condo association in April 2005 and they forwarded our concerns to the condo managers to whom we sent a registered letter. Management started knocking on her door in late May to do "spraying" (which I am sure you might agree is too little too late). She won't let them in. In late July they brought in the sheriff who told them "the roaches are the least of your problems; if she sets fire to the place you're going to have a lot of dead people on your hands." The fire marshal was brought in next and according to the managers, he says that she can pack the place sky high and we cannot do anything to prevent it. It's her right to live that way because she owns her unit. We pointed out that we own our units and we cannot live the way we want--clean, safe and bug-free--because her lifestyle is being given consideration over ours.

It is clear the woman is mentally ill,but we have had no luck in getting help from any of the usual social venue or from any of her children. We have called every city social agency known to man and they all tell us that it's another department's responsibility. Senior protective services, housing, health, mental health, commission on aging, fire and several others insist that it is not their job to help, but they happily tell us that one of the others IS responsible. Only environmental health made a stab at helping us, creating a blanket team that came in and took pictures, made promises about conservators, getting her kids involved and so forth. None of them have been back and the management said they want to give her a second chance.

So NOW management (who doesn't want to contact her kids for fear of a lawsuit) tried to gain and clean her apartment in order to spray her unit for bugs. She couldn't even OPEN THE FRONT DOOR because the stuff had collapsed against it and she was trapped under the pile. So the managers went in thru the windows and dug her out. But she went ballistic a bit later and told them they couldn't take anything more. Mental health was called and she was taken to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation. The officials assured us that they were going to get her into a home and prevent her from returning to the filth.

Instead, she signed herself out and has returned (lugging in more junk). Management has washed its hands, won't return our calls and tells us we could get in trouble for "harrassing" her. We don't even TALK to the woman about the problem. Calls to the official who took her to the hospital yield the information that he is on vacation.

We were advised by management that we COULD call her children as "concerned neighbors." I got elected for this job because I am so "nice." Her son claims she told him that the people cleaning her house were trying to steal her stuff. He also claimed he had not been told about the roaches and promises that he and his siblings will help us clean the place up.

Except--they do not come to the condo at all. They have never been inside and they think we are exaggerating about the extent of the filth and trash. We have also discovered that this woman is on several city commissions, does a lot of volunteer work and has received awards for her work. We're beginning to wonder if our safety and health is being sacrificed so as not to embarrass the family.

Further, the woman has not paid her assessments or her condo fees nor has she paid fines the city has assessed against her for another property she owns. We believe management is banking on her going into foreclosure or maybe even passing away (she has a serious heart condition) so that they don't have to take legal action.

In the meanwhile, the rest of us live in fear that we may all die in a fire and we spend our days spraying for roaches on our own. Some of the other tenants are seniors with mobility problems and if there is a fire, they would never be able to get out in time, even with help. Some of us have asthma and the variety of roach sprays and the smell are beginning to kill our lungs.

We are contemplating our own legal action, but don't know who to take action against. Our Condo managers who haven't pressed the issue with the city services? The city itself who doesn't seem to care about its elderly? The woman herself, despite the fact that she is clearly sick--and we originally were trying to get her help, not merely cleaned up? Her children who say they don't want legal battles and will "work with us" but don't specify what that means? We are at a complete loss, we are exhasuted, frustrated and losing patience.

Any ideas will be helpful. Sorry that this was so long, but I wanted to get all the facts in as we know them.

HomeGuru

jessepenitent said:
What is the name of your state?

Connecticut

I'll try to be succinct and that isn't going to be easy. In our two story, twelve unit condo lives a very elderly woman: sweet as can be, generous to a fault and filthier than Pigpen. Her home is a blaze waiting to happen. Stuff isn't just piled up--it is a solid, almost six foot layer from the door on through the whole unit. She collects things that (she says) she takes to homeless shelters and so forth, but nothing ever leaves and more and more keeps going in. Her toilet is broken, her stove is stuffed full of old clothes and food and the stench is unbelievable when she opens the door.

Most of us dealt with this by upping our fire insurance, but now that she is leaving out stale and rotting food among the old clothes, plastic bags, boxes, nick-nacks, mason jars (name it and it's in there) she has attracted roaches and the roaches have infested all the other eleven units.

We started calling the condo association in April 2005 and they forwarded our concerns to the condo managers to whom we sent a registered letter. Management started knocking on her door in late May to do "spraying" (which I am sure you might agree is too little too late). She won't let them in. In late July they brought in the sheriff who told them "the roaches are the least of your problems; if she sets fire to the place you're going to have a lot of dead people on your hands." The fire marshal was brought in next and according to the managers, he says that she can pack the place sky high and we cannot do anything to prevent it. It's her right to live that way because she owns her unit. We pointed out that we own our units and we cannot live the way we want--clean, safe and bug-free--because her lifestyle is being given consideration over ours.

It is clear the woman is mentally ill,but we have had no luck in getting help from any of the usual social venue or from any of her children. We have called every city social agency known to man and they all tell us that it's another department's responsibility. Senior protective services, housing, health, mental health, commission on aging, fire and several others insist that it is not their job to help, but they happily tell us that one of the others IS responsible. Only environmental health made a stab at helping us, creating a blanket team that came in and took pictures, made promises about conservators, getting her kids involved and so forth. None of them have been back and the management said they want to give her a second chance.

So NOW management (who doesn't want to contact her kids for fear of a lawsuit) tried to gain and clean her apartment in order to spray her unit for bugs. She couldn't even OPEN THE FRONT DOOR because the stuff had collapsed against it and she was trapped under the pile. So the managers went in thru the windows and dug her out. But she went ballistic a bit later and told them they couldn't take anything more. Mental health was called and she was taken to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation. The officials assured us that they were going to get her into a home and prevent her from returning to the filth.

Instead, she signed herself out and has returned (lugging in more junk). Management has washed its hands, won't return our calls and tells us we could get in trouble for "harrassing" her. We don't even TALK to the woman about the problem. Calls to the official who took her to the hospital yield the information that he is on vacation.

We were advised by management that we COULD call her children as "concerned neighbors." I got elected for this job because I am so "nice." Her son claims she told him that the people cleaning her house were trying to steal her stuff. He also claimed he had not been told about the roaches and promises that he and his siblings will help us clean the place up.

Except--they do not come to the condo at all. They have never been inside and they think we are exaggerating about the extent of the filth and trash. We have also discovered that this woman is on several city commissions, does a lot of volunteer work and has received awards for her work. We're beginning to wonder if our safety and health is being sacrificed so as not to embarrass the family.

Further, the woman has not paid her assessments or her condo fees nor has she paid fines the city has assessed against her for another property she owns. We believe management is banking on her going into foreclosure or maybe even passing away (she has a serious heart condition) so that they don't have to take legal action.

In the meanwhile, the rest of us live in fear that we may all die in a fire and we spend our days spraying for roaches on our own. Some of the other tenants are seniors with mobility problems and if there is a fire, they would never be able to get out in time, even with help. Some of us have asthma and the variety of roach sprays and the smell are beginning to kill our lungs.

We are contemplating our own legal action, but don't know who to take action against. Our Condo managers who haven't pressed the issue with the city services? The city itself who doesn't seem to care about its elderly? The woman herself, despite the fact that she is clearly sick--and we originally were trying to get her help, not merely cleaned up? Her children who say they don't want legal battles and will "work with us" but don't specify what that means? We are at a complete loss, we are exhasuted, frustrated and losing patience.

Any ideas will be helpful. Sorry that this was so long, but I wanted to get all the facts in as we know them.

**A: why are you writing War and Peace?

J

jessepenitent

Condo Neighbor

As I said, I'm sorry I wrote a long letter, but I wanted to get all the facts in.
Sorry. Guess the free advice on here comes with free sarcasm. As noted in my letter, everyone has a snarky reply and I guess I will remove myself from the thread. Bye-bye and thanks for nothin!

You Are Guilty

FWIW said:
THAT's your answer to the well documented, efforted, and articulate question???? They gave too many details?

You just chased a poster away because YOU didn't know the answer to a question.

Good Grief.

Next time just say "I don't know".
So where's your anwer Mr. Property Attorney?

You Are Guilty

Stan Goldberg said:
You ask for "proof" after the posts are deleted by the moderator to (try) to save all of your credibility, ROFLMAO!!!!

"Post, what post, I didn't see any post and you can't prove it"

LOL, plausible denial is a good strategy. Not sure how well it worked though.

Oh, by the way, did you hear the news .... My name is "Nathan" and "You are Guilty" is going to give away my personal information on request.

That post hasn't been deleted yet, so there's one you can still verify (though for how long we can't be sure).

So, wait no longer ....

DOH!!!!!
My posts have been deleted??? That's news to me. By my count, they're still here. Care to elaborate what your "recollection" of them is? In any event, I would love to know why the one moderator who can delete my posts would deem it necessary to "save" something that isn't in question. (Unless you think that I somehow garner special privileges here, in which case I'd love to hear about that as well, including where I can file a complaint for not receiving them).

And you really need to figure out for yourself that the internet is composed of more than just you and me. There are millions of other people out there, some of which are even posting on this forum! And when someone that isn't me posts something, later claiming that I said it doesn't magivally make it true. So using other people's posts as "support" for your rants against me just goes to show that I was right about you from the start. You truly are an idiot.

You Are Guilty

So you waste all that time recreating an account (which, based on your little picture there, will probably be deleted shortly as well), but you continue, after at least three opportunities, to not provide any sort of evidence to back up your claims. You've even been offered the opportunity to post, in your own words, what you think your evidence is and yet you don't.

Idiot, idiot, idiot :D

You Are Guilty

Him Again said:
I'm guessing you are passing on the $10,000 offer to prove your assertions? Why?
Which of "my" assertations are you referring to? Your name? OK, you want my guess? Edward Q. Dingleberry. You can mail my money to the Red Cross.

Also why is the moderator deleting HomeGuru's grossly inaccurate posts?
-Nathan
Why do you sneeze when you look into the sun? What function do dreams serve? Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp, who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

(Translation into Idiot: Do I look psychic to you?)

You Are Guilty

Him Again said:
You are wrong. Therefore you (or in this case, The Red Cross) will not have any funds forthcoming.

HomeGuru said I was "Nathan" and that you could provide my personal information.

Was he accurate?
Actually, what he posted was something along the lines of "Anyone who wants [your] name & email can PM either HomeGuru or YAG for it."

Sorry Dingleberry, looks like you've been outed.

You Are Guilty

Him Again said:
HomeGuru wasn't wrong was he? Just because the moderator yanked his post doesn't mean that HomeGuru was wrong.
Once again, how would I know? I am not the moderator. I did not delete his post(s). For all you know, he deleted them himself. More importantly, who cares?

Ciarraine

jessepenitent:

Time to stop dealing with the social service agencies and start dealing with local code/law enforcement. Good luck to you. Boric Acid powder is your best bet for roaches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">