• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Restricting Windowboxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loricich

What is the name of your state? PA

Hello, I am Lori. I am an owner of a condo. My area always looks nice. I had noticed that a resident had a window box. I decided to install one also. I know that these windowboxes are against the bylaw, but their reasoning of not allowing them, I believe to be discriminating. At one time, they did allow them, but residents had the plants grow out of control. They looked pretty shabby. Last night, our council had a meeting. They still do not approve the window boxes. I told them that I would use artificial flowers and I would make sure my boxes always look presentable. How can the condo assoc. make a bylaw on how previous owners took care of their windowboxes? I believe they should let residents have window boxes, and if one person's box looks shabby, make them remove it! Why should the whole development have to be restricted?

The council needs to look at each resident as an individual. If one person does a crime, you don't punish the whole community!

What do you think?

nextwife

loricich said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Hello, I am Lori. I am an owner of a condo. My area always looks nice. I had noticed that a resident had a window box. I decided to install one also. I know that these windowboxes are against the bylaw, but their reasoning of not allowing them, I believe to be discriminating. At one time, they did allow them, but residents had the plants grow out of control. They looked pretty shabby. Last night, our council had a meeting. They still do not approve the window boxes. I told them that I would use artificial flowers and I would make sure my boxes always look presentable. How can the condo assoc. make a bylaw on how previous owners took care of their windowboxes? I believe they should let residents have window boxes, and if one person's box looks shabby, make them remove it! Why should the whole development have to be restricted?

The council needs to look at each resident as an individual. If one person does a crime, you don't punish the whole community!

What do you think?

Artificial flowers is a crime that should be punishable by imprisonment, or repeated viewings of the LoveBoat.

PghREA

nextwife said:
Artificial flowers is a crime that should be punishable by imprisonment, or repeated viewings of the LoveBoat.

I agree! Tacky, tacky, tacky! Most condo associations want the exterior of the buildings to look the same.
One of the reasons people buy condos over single family dwellings is the fact that the exterior maintenance is done for them.

JETX

loricich said:
I know that these windowboxes are against the bylaw, but their reasoning of not allowing them, I believe to be discriminating
Kind of pretty much says it all, doesn't it. They are NOT allowed.

At one time, they did allow them, but residents had the plants grow out of control. They looked pretty shabby. Last night, our council had a meeting. They still do not approve the window boxes. I told them that I would use artificial flowers and I would make sure my boxes always look presentable. How can the condo assoc. make a bylaw on how previous owners took care of their windowboxes?
They aren't. They have made a by-law in order to protect the rights (and values) of ALL owners. And preventing ALL windowboxes, plastic or not, is a valid application.

I believe they should let residents have window boxes, and if one person's box looks shabby, make them remove it! Why should the whole development have to be restricted?
Who do you propose to make the 'shabby police'??? The simply fact is, the board is right in restricting ALL windowboxes and avoiding the issue of what is considered 'shabby' to one or another person.

The council needs to look at each resident as an individual.
No they don't!! Their 'role' is to protect the community in whole.... and they are doing it by prohibiting ALL windowboxes.

If one person does a crime, you don't punish the whole community!
So, when was prohibiting windowboxes a crime??

What do you think?
I think you have a biased myopic view of the facts. Simple answer.... your options are:
1) Learn to play by the rules, or
2) Petition to change the rules (within the provided system), or
3) Move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">