• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Water Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blue582

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Three weeks ago a problem started where water leaked down into my 1st floor ceiling from a 3rd floor unit. It caused a split in one area of the ceiling and discoloring in 2 other areas. The 2nd floor has been untouched. It appears to be from an AC, the water collecting in my ceiling. The lady on the 2nd floor told me she had her AC line inspected and it was ok. The lady on the 3rd floor is a renter. Apparently the owners go out of the country for 6 mos. every year and rent it out. Their brother is "in-charge" while they're gone. I spoke with him and he felt it was probably a blockage problem "on the way down," not in his unit; therefore the Condo Assoc. should be liable. I said they told me that they require the owner to initiate the needed work and if deamed their fault, then they will get involved. He claimed he'd look into doing something about it.

The renter herself had taken a trip for the past 2 weeks so the AC was off. I heard no leaking or dripping noises while she was gone. She has apparently returned and started using her AC again, and I am back to getting dripping noises in the vent and some water in one area down my wall. So, nothing was fixed. So right now I am in the middle of trying to get the renter to keep her AC turned off, meanwhile attempting to contact the owner's brother to get a plumber in there to fix it. He is not returning my messages.
How do I get someone to fix this problem before my ceiling breaks through?!
Should I send him a certified letter? How do I get his address?
Does the Condo Assoc. have any responsibility since she is a renter?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">