• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condominium Association says NO to Satellite

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ASR

What is the name of your state? Virginia (Northern Virginia)

I am planning to move into a townhouse this May. I have already signed the lease with the landlord. Everything was running smooth and landlord has been very helpful until I came to know that ..

Condominium Association said I can't put a satellite dish in the roof or any common area. I have no problem with that and when I asked them if I can put it on the deck, they said no as well. They said only inside the house or get cable. While I have no problems in getting cable but I want to get international programming through my satellite that cable does not offer. Furthermore, they consider the deck as "Limited Common Area" and they consider their townhouses as a CONDO. The deck has stairs where one can enter into the kitchen.

According to the FCC rules, it says I can even if it was "Limited Common Area". When I brought it to their attention, they said this is a "condo" and not a townhouse and the rules does not apply.

I am not sure about this and that is why I am asking here. Does the FCC rules apply to condos as well? Am I allowed to put the satellite on the deck or not? If I can, I am planning to put the dish on bucket of cement and a pole where the dish can hang off (Similar to a tree).

Landlord has no problem with it as long as Condominium association says yes. Other tenants doesn't seem to have any satellite installed.

Thanks for your all help!

S

shell007

ASR said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia (Northern Virginia)

I am planning to move into a townhouse this May. I have already signed the lease with the landlord. Everything was running smooth and landlord has been very helpful until I came to know that ..

Condominium Association said I can't put a satellite dish in the roof or any common area. I have no problem with that and when I asked them if I can put it on the deck, they said no as well. They said only inside the house or get cable. While I have no problems in getting cable but I want to get international programming through my satellite that cable does not offer. Furthermore, they consider the deck as "Limited Common Area" and they consider their townhouses as a CONDO. The deck has stairs where one can enter into the kitchen.

According to the FCC rules, it says I can even if it was "Limited Common Area". When I brought it to their attention, they said this is a "condo" and not a townhouse and the rules does not apply.

I am not sure about this and that is why I am asking here. Does the FCC rules apply to condos as well? Am I allowed to put the satellite on the deck or not? If I can, I am planning to put the dish on bucket of cement and a pole where the dish can hang off (Similar to a tree).

Landlord has no problem with it as long as Condominium association says yes. Other tenants doesn't seem to have any satellite installed.

Thanks for your all help!
Go and buy a HOUSE in the country and then YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. UNTIL THEN...FOLLOW THE RULES.

ASR

shellandty said:
Go and buy a HOUSE in the country and then YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. UNTIL THEN...FOLLOW THE RULES.
Buying a house is out the question with today's prices. Any other suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">