• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condominium Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChuckM65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello.

The condominium I live in sold the first unit in April of 2008. The developer/builder has not paid any association fees on unsold units. The condominium started as 24 units in 1 building. There are now 3 buildings with a total of 72 units with 1 more building of 24 units not built yet. I know there is a law which states that the developer/builder should be paying the fees on unsold units but I cannot find the statute anywhere online. also, the developer/builder went into chapter 11 bankruptcy in Septemebr of 2009 and as far as I can tell, is still in bankruptcy. The HOA is still controlled by the developer/builder although the owners have 1 representative to the board.

My questions are:
1. What is the statute that says they pay the condo fees, and
2. How does the bankruptcy affect this.

Thank you very much in advance.

ChuckM65

festival

Check your condominium Declaration, which should have the rules and procedures for assessments (fees), and probably includes the turnover from the developer. I'm not from PA, and not a lawyer, and you need one for this, but maybe look at PA title 68 section 3314(a). Consider the comment: once an assessment is made against any unit, all units, including those owned by the declarant (developer/builder), must be assessed for their full portion of the common expense liability.

ChuckM65

festival.
Thank you very much for the reply. I found the section and our Rep is going to consult an attorny.
ChuckM65

ChuckM65

Homeguru:

Rep = Our representative to the HOA board. Not an official board member. Another bylaw they are violating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">