• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused in CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kris74

What is the name of your state? CT

My husband and I have lived in our condo for almost 2 years.

We have an issue with our board of directors who state we have a non-conforming storm door. We received our first letter at the end of March telling us we need to change it. It stated we had 10 days until the next inspection. We called our property manager to tell him we disagree with this letter. We read through our policy manual and bylaws and it does not have anything about what type of storm door to purchase. He agreed and told us to let sleeping dogs lie. We should have gotten this in writing.
We get a second letter at the end of April telling us we still have a non-conforming storm door and we have until May 4 to change it or there will be fines levied against us. I called our property manager to ask him what this was all about. He said he had met with the board of directors who told him that the door needs to be 3/4 glass. I reiterated it is not written anywhere of any such thing. I asked if I could write to the board of directors. He said yes and I faxed him the letter.
He met with the board to present our letter on May 17. It took 2 days for him to call us back with the answer. I think the only reason he called me back and spoke to me is because I called him and left a message on May 18. He told me the answer was two-fold. We still had to change the door but another unit owner who happens to also be a board member will give us their hand me down door. They are getting a new one. What a coincidence. We are obvoiusly right or they would be making us purchase a new one versus giving us a free one.
Why should we have to change it. At this point we told our property manager we are not changing the door and are contacting a lawyer. He said why waste any more time or money. They obviuosly know we are right. Also if we don't change our door, is it legal to levy fines against us
Help.
Thank you for any advice you can offer us .
Confused in CT

Last edited:

PghREA

Shay-Pari'e said:
What is your question?
I know! I know!

Also if we don't change our door, is it legal to levy fines against us

Most condos have rules about what type of exterior improvements an owner can make. They want everything to look uniform. If it is written, have them show you where it is written. If it is not written, I'm sure it will be soon.

The board member who wants to give you his old door may just be a nice guy, it doesn't mean that you are right.

owners_rights

can a landlord do this?

I live in Pittsburgh
I rented an apartment for a year and the owner decided to sell his bulding and therefore I had 60 days to move. I found another place and forwarded my new address to my former landlord. he never returned my security deposit. he sent a letter stating that the apartment was not cleaned. The apt was spotless when I left and even took pictures of the apt before I moved out. I sued him and the judge ruled in my favor but the landlord never paid. Its been two months after the descision and when I called the landlord, his number was disconnected and he apparently changed the name of his realty company. My question is, can he get away with that and what other steps should I take?

gawm

owners_rights said:
I live in Pittsburgh
I rented an apartment for a year and the owner decided to sell his bulding and therefore I had 60 days to move. I found another place and forwarded my new address to my former landlord. he never returned my security deposit. he sent a letter stating that the apartment was not cleaned. The apt was spotless when I left and even took pictures of the apt before I moved out. I sued him and the judge ruled in my favor but the landlord never paid. Its been two months after the descision and when I called the landlord, his number was disconnected and he apparently changed the name of his realty company. My question is, can he get away with that and what other steps should I take?
Please start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">