• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conversion: Actual move-out date?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b27shelle

What is the name of your state? California
In a recent conversion to condos, tenants were given 60 days to decide whether they wished to buy, and 90 days to move out if they decided not to buy. My mother, who had decided not to buy, was legally entitled to and provided a one-year extension on her move-out date due to being on disability. They instructed her to sign a letter indicating that she would move out mid-March (which will be one year from when matters between tenants and the new owners were still being discussed verbally). The subdivision public report was issued on June 21 and tenants were notified on June 29 with the official Notice of 90-Day Right of First Refusal to Purchase. My question is this: does the law require her year to begin when she was verbally told to sign the letter, or does it begin on the date of issuance of the public report and notice of first refusal right? If the latter, does the letter she signed trump the actual legally required move-out date? thanks ... she keeps telling me she'll call a lawyer and find out (every week for three-ish months now) -- thought maybe i could get a quicker answer here :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">