• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discriminative co-op mangement company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yanyan80

What is the name of your state? NY

We live in a co-op building, top floor. Our neighbor downstairs is the president of our building board. Ever since we moved in, he constantly comes up complaining about how noisy we are. At the beginning, we tried to be nice and almost walked on our toes to avoid any "noise". At that time, my husband and I both work and have very long commute. We also go out with friends on Fridays and weekends. We spent a whole day at my in-law's place on weekend. We really spend very minimum time in our apt. But he just keeps complaining. We had to sit down with the old management to settle his problem. They knew him and his family so well and basically asked them to return us peace of life. So he backed off for a period of time.

A year later, we had our son and my mom came to help for 6 months. All of a sudden, he is back to his old habit--tortues us by non-stop complain and purposely showed up before our easter dinner and a couple of other happy occasions. Now our building has a new management company. He made them send us a letter asking us to "stop unreasonable noise right away" and thretening us with "formal action". Management never talked to us about his complaint, however in this letter sent by the lawers they accused us of making noise and against the House Rules. The letter made us furious. We thought it is highly discriminative because they just took his words and didn't care to do any investigation before concluding that we conducted wrongdoing. We are going to protest the letter and ask them to reissue a letter stating an unbiased position before we let them come inspect our carpets and residents (we have nothing to hide). I just thought if we just let them inspect, it is like we admit that we did the things that liar made up.

What we want to know is whether this is a strong case of discrimination if the management continues to take his side and whether we stand a winning chance if we sue them. We don't like suing people and have never done so, but if they push us too hard, we have to stand tall to defend our rights of living normal life.

thanks for your valuable advise. It is so depressing that we already lost several nights of sleeping.

Thanks again!

HomeGuru

yanyan80 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

We live in a co-op building, top floor. Our neighbor downstairs is the president of our building board. Ever since we moved in, he constantly comes up complaining about how noisy we are. At the beginning, we tried to be nice and almost walked on our toes to avoid any "noise". At that time, my husband and I both work and have very long commute. We also go out with friends on Fridays and weekends. We spent a whole day at my in-law's place on weekend. We really spend very minimum time in our apt. But he just keeps complaining. We had to sit down with the old management to settle his problem. They knew him and his family so well and basically asked them to return us peace of life. So he backed off for a period of time.

A year later, we had our son and my mom came to help for 6 months. All of a sudden, he is back to his old habit--tortues us by non-stop complain and purposely showed up before our easter dinner and a couple of other happy occasions. Now our building has a new management company. He made them send us a letter asking us to "stop unreasonable noise right away" and thretening us with "formal action". Management never talked to us about his complaint, however in this letter sent by the lawers they accused us of making noise and against the House Rules. The letter made us furious. We thought it is highly discriminative because they just took his words and didn't care to do any investigation before concluding that we conducted wrongdoing. We are going to protest the letter and ask them to reissue a letter stating an unbiased position before we let them come inspect our carpets and residents (we have nothing to hide). I just thought if we just let them inspect, it is like we admit that we did the things that liar made up.

What we want to know is whether this is a strong case of discrimination if the management continues to take his side and whether we stand a winning chance if we sue them. We don't like suing people and have never done so, but if they push us too hard, we have to stand tall to defend our rights of living normal life.

thanks for your valuable advise. It is so depressing that we already lost several nights of sleeping.

Thanks again!

**A: I do not see any discrimination.

asylum23

Why not report him for making noise too? Just b/c he's on the Board doesn't mean he doesn't have to follow rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">