• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute Condo Association Fees Collection letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashina74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Purchased a condo a year and half ago. Never had any notice(s) or demand for a condo fees sent to us so we contacted the community management company several times and they explained that it was their mistake since we were not added as new owners to their billing system on time. They promised to correct this so we can pay the past due on their website. They never added us to the system, sent us payment coupons or gave us any alternate payment option.

Without prior notice we recently were surprised to receive a collection letter from the condo association's attorney requesting a payment of approximately $9k for the past due fees which include late fees and attorneys' fees.

We tried to contact the community management company and left few messages in hope to resolve the issue. After few phone calls the secretary told us we can only talk to their attorney.

Please note that I'm now current on my monthly association fees since I just received my first coupon book for 2013. before that we never revived any notice(s) demanding condo fee or even documents that reflects what, if any association fees requirement are due.

Should we send a letter of dispute to the association attorney ? We would like to pay what is owed but refuse to be penalized for late fees and attorney's fees for the management company incompetency.

What are our options under the Florida state laws?

Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you are willing and able to pay what you feel is due, then do so. Let them go after you for the late fees if they are so inclined.

festival

You need to be careful, since the association can add legal fees to what you owe. If you contact the attorney, you may end up paying the bill for his/her time.

I would talk with a board member as soon as possible, and get on the agenda for the next meeting of the Board of Directors. The management company is only the hired help that screwed up and doesn't want to deal with you. Once the board knows the whole story, they can remove the late fees and call off the attorney if they choose. You can also write your story to the board, sent by certified mail.

Florida law says the association has to maintain accurate records. Apparently they didn't.

What did the management company do for over a year? Did they send any late notices? Where did they go? Does your association have a written collection policy?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Purchased a condo a year and half ago. Never had any notice(s) or demand for a condo fees sent to us so we contacted the community management company several times and they explained that it was their mistake since we were not added as new owners to their billing system on time. They promised to correct this so we can pay the past due on their website. They never added us to the system, sent us payment coupons or gave us any alternate payment option.

Without prior notice we recently were surprised to receive a collection letter from the condo association's attorney requesting a payment of approximately $9k for the past due fees which include late fees and attorneys' fees.

We tried to contact the community management company and left few messages in hope to resolve the issue. After few phone calls the secretary told us we can only talk to their attorney.

Please note that I'm now current on my monthly association fees since I just received my first coupon book for 2013. before that we never revived any notice(s) demanding condo fee or even documents that reflects what, if any association fees requirement are due.

Should we send a letter of dispute to the association attorney ? We would like to pay what is owed but refuse to be penalized for late fees and attorney's fees for the management company incompetency.

What are our options under the Florida state laws?

Thank you in advance.
**A: there has to be more to this story. When you bought the property 1 1/2 years ago have you been paying your monthly fees or were you just waiting until you got a letter to pay or a coupon book?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">