• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennifer Devane

What is the name of your state? New York

My parents live in a Co-op in Little Neck, N.Y. According to their bi-laws, they are not allowed to own a dog. I visit them often and have brought my dog with me a few times, however, the dog has never stayed over-night in their apartment and he has never been there for longer than a couple of hours. Well, apparently, one of my parent's neighbors told the Board of Directors that my parents own a dog. A maintenace man from the development showed up at their home and asked if they have a dog. Of course my parents said no and even asked the man if he would like to take a look around their apartment to see for himself that they do in fact not own a dog. He declined and a few days later my parents received a letter stating that they have to remove the dog from the premesis within 10 days (Notice to Cure). My parents immediately responded by mail and phone that they do NOT have a dog. However, in the letter that my father wrote to the Board, he stated that while they do not have a dog, their daughter (me) occassionally comes to visit and sometimes brings her dog, but the animal does not stay for a long period of time. Well, they responded by saying that last year the Board sent a notice around the development listing "new" rules and the corresponding fines for breaking each rule. These letters were apparently slipped under each home's door. My parents never received this and therefore certainly never signed for receiving such a note. If they new that a dog could not even visit, they never would have let me bring my dog to their home. My question is: Is it legal for the deveopment to force them to pay $500 for a rule they were never informed of and never signed any revised bi-law amendment? Thank you for your time and consideration. Jennifer

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Jennifer Devane said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My parents live in a Co-op in Little Neck, N.Y. According to their bi-laws, they are not allowed to own a dog. I visit them often and have brought my dog with me a few times, however, the dog has never stayed over-night in their apartment and he has never been there for longer than a couple of hours. Well, apparently, one of my parent's neighbors told the Board of Directors that my parents own a dog. A maintenace man from the development showed up at their home and asked if they have a dog. Of course my parents said no and even asked the man if he would like to take a look around their apartment to see for himself that they do in fact not own a dog. He declined and a few days later my parents received a letter stating that they have to remove the dog from the premesis within 10 days (Notice to Cure). My parents immediately responded by mail and phone that they do NOT have a dog. However, in the letter that my father wrote to the Board, he stated that while they do not have a dog, their daughter (me) occassionally comes to visit and sometimes brings her dog, but the animal does not stay for a long period of time. Well, they responded by saying that last year the Board sent a notice around the development listing "new" rules and the corresponding fines for breaking each rule. These letters were apparently slipped under each home's door. My parents never received this and therefore certainly never signed for receiving such a note. If they new that a dog could not even visit, they never would have let me bring my dog to their home. My question is: Is it legal for the deveopment to force them to pay $500 for a rule they were never informed of and never signed any revised bi-law amendment? Thank you for your time and consideration. Jennifer
Yep. Pets are NOT allowed and that means even to visit.

You Are Guilty

My question is: Is it legal for the deveopment to force them to pay $500 for a rule they were never informed of and never signed any revised bi-law amendment?
It is not the Board's obligation to provide (or to prove) notice of the rules to the shareholders (although it seems they did so in this case); it is the shareholders obligation to keep themselves apprised of the House Rules.

You also might want to remind them to obtain a copy of the latest version so that there are no more mix-ups in the future.

Hadenough

I would advise a request to update the procedure that when changes are made in the bylaws the owners sign to acknowledge they received them and the board keep it on file.

I say this only because our association tells us nothing and they slip things in without people knowing all the time. Then if you want information, they try to charge you money to copy it.

I would say by having everyone sign for amendments and changes it would take away any questions in the future, and if that causes them some more work, oh well.

danno6925

Rules are rules.

Sounds like your P's a re afoul of the rules. Pay the fine.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A Tax is a fine for doing well.
Wish I knew who said that,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">