• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easements: Shared expense dispute with neighboring COA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

COAres

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am a new member of a land-locked COA that has an easement with a neighboring COA. Both communities were originally one but have since became separate entities. The original community had amenities including a pool and a clubhouse. When the communities split, the land-locked COA was granted an easement to access the pool and clubhouse that exists on the other COAs property. My COA is expected to pay a proportionate amount of the expense to maintain this area of the property but have no ownership rights or decision making power. However due to vandalism/neglect/mismanagement the clubhouse has been essentially non-functional for several years and now requires over a hundred thousand in repairs to bring it up to code. The neighboring COA claims it cannot afford to make repairs yet continues to bill my COA as a shared expense. At this point the clubhouse is viewed by my community as a liability - it is not used by the community at all - and the popular belief is that it should be demolished. The neighboring community however prefers to maintain the status quo if no reason other than they use it for their monthly COA meetings. Is there any possible way my COA can legally untangle ourselves from this situation? It does not seem right or fair to residents to have to continue to pay for something that they do not use, is not on community property and have no power to determine how the money should be used. Additionally, if extreme damage were to result from the neglect, our COA would still be responsible for a proportionate share of the cost. Help!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am a new member of a land-locked COA that has an easement with a neighboring COA. Both communities were originally one but have since became separate entities. The original community had amenities including a pool and a clubhouse. When the communities split, the land-locked COA was granted an easement to access the pool and clubhouse that exists on the other COAs property. My COA is expected to pay a proportionate amount of the expense to maintain this area of the property but have no ownership rights or decision making power. However due to vandalism/neglect/mismanagement the clubhouse has been essentially non-functional for several years and now requires over a hundred thousand in repairs to bring it up to code. The neighboring COA claims it cannot afford to make repairs yet continues to bill my COA as a shared expense. At this point the clubhouse is viewed by my community as a liability - it is not used by the community at all - and the popular belief is that it should be demolished. The neighboring community however prefers to maintain the status quo if no reason other than they use it for their monthly COA meetings. Is there any possible way my COA can legally untangle ourselves from this situation? It does not seem right or fair to residents to have to continue to pay for something that they do not use, is not on community property and have no power to determine how the money should be used. Additionally, if extreme damage were to result from the neglect, our COA would still be responsible for a proportionate share of the cost. Help!!
What did your COA's attorney have to say about this matter?

COAres

What did your COA's attorney have to say about this matter?
From what I've heard, it seems that we are being advised to come to a mutual settlement. My guess is that we have been told that divorcing ourselves from the clubhouse was not feasible due to other essential aspects of the easement otherwise I am sure our community would have pursued that option. I am however unconvinced that this community has no legal recourse or right to 'walk away' from this portion of the easement given that it is non-essential to the community, non-desirable to its residents and not being properly maintained.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From what I've heard, it seems that we are being advised to come to a mutual settlement. My guess is that we have been told that divorcing ourselves from the clubhouse was not feasible due to other essential aspects of the easement otherwise I am sure our community would have pursued that option. I am however unconvinced that this community has no legal recourse or right to 'walk away' from this portion of the easement given that it is non-essential to the community, non-desirable to its residents and not being properly maintained.
Nobody here is going to attempt to second-guess your association's attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">