• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elevator Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

islandsun

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I need help in this matter. I own a condo in Hawaii and live on the 11th floor. My parking stall is in the basement and to get to the main floor, I either have to walk up the stairs or walk up the drive ramp. The person who runs the condo building has 51% share in the building. The elevator use to go to the basement along time ago, before I owned my condo. What she did was blocked the basement so no one has access. The reason is that she rents her rooms to walkins and cheap vacation rentals. Some of those renters have taken the elevator to the basement garage and walk up the ramp to skip without paying. The elevator has been rebuilt in Oct of this year and for a week or two the elevator was able to go to the basement. This was a happy relief, but it has now stoped.I Ask her why it no longer goes to the basement and she replied with a slight laugh, to prevent her renter from leaving without paying. In the 30 years that thy own the building, this is the best way for her to control this situation.
My question is, does she have the right to deny us access to the basement just because she can't control her renter? As stated before, she own 51% share in the building (condo ) I read somewhere that one cannot deny other condo members because of personal, orfinancial reason. Is this a good enough reason from her that the members with parking stalls in the basement be denied the use of the elevator since we payed our accessed share for the rebuilding of the elevator? I would like to know what I can do legalily without retaliation?
Thanks, sorry for this long post. First timer.

Tony

islandsun

I wrote a letter to be submitted for the annual board meeting on the 6th of Dec. Don't know what the outcome of that meeting was. I had contacted the elevator company and talked to the lady that handle the account. I got some information rearding the two way to have an lockout. I didn't want to sound uninformed in my letter. Well, the owner found out that I had inquired about the lockout key and told the elevator rep not to disclose anymore info regarding the elevator that I would need the boards approval to do this. Guess the cats out of the bag. Now she knows I had called the elevator company. The rep had told her because someone from the company went to the condo to look and see what the estimate would be. The manager says that everything will be left the same. Still have to wait for the minutes for the meeting, but it don't look good for me. Tony

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I need help in this matter. I own a condo in Hawaii and live on the 11th floor. My parking stall is in the basement and to get to the main floor, I either have to walk up the stairs or walk up the drive ramp. The person who runs the condo building has 51% share in the building. The elevator use to go to the basement along time ago, before I owned my condo. What she did was blocked the basement so no one has access. The reason is that she rents her rooms to walkins and cheap vacation rentals. Some of those renters have taken the elevator to the basement garage and walk up the ramp to skip without paying. The elevator has been rebuilt in Oct of this year and for a week or two the elevator was able to go to the basement. This was a happy relief, but it has now stoped.I Ask her why it no longer goes to the basement and she replied with a slight laugh, to prevent her renter from leaving without paying. In the 30 years that thy own the building, this is the best way for her to control this situation.
My question is, does she have the right to deny us access to the basement just because she can't control her renter? As stated before, she own 51% share in the building (condo ) I read somewhere that one cannot deny other condo members because of personal, orfinancial reason. Is this a good enough reason from her that the members with parking stalls in the basement be denied the use of the elevator since we payed our accessed share for the rebuilding of the elevator? I would like to know what I can do legalily without retaliation?
Thanks, sorry for this long post. First timer.

Tony

**A: hire an attorney and sue her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">