• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting an obnoxious neighbor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awang

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

I own a condo in los angeles. It is a small complex of 5 units. One of the neighbors has been a problem ever since he moved in 4 years ago. All the other owners, including me, have had to deal with his obnoxious behaviour. His unit is owned by him and his mother. He has some mental issues (talks to himself, lies in the middle of the street at night, abducts the cats in the neighborhood, plays the music or video game excessively loud at 3 am), but he has moments where he seems fairly cognizant of his surroundings. He has trespassed into another tenant's unit, taken packages from my doorstep, smoked inside the garage, spray painted his car in the garage, etc. Anyway, we have discussed placing all these rules in the CC&R's so that we can cite him everytime he disturbs the peace. But the other owners and myself were wondering if we can evict him. Is there anything we can put in our CC&R's that can legally force him to move? I heard that we can do little to force him to sell his condo, but is there a way we, as an association, can force him to leave?
Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

awang said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

I own a condo in los angeles. It is a small complex of 5 units. One of the neighbors has been a problem ever since he moved in 4 years ago. All the other owners, including me, have had to deal with his obnoxious behaviour. His unit is owned by him and his mother. He has some mental issues (talks to himself, lies in the middle of the street at night, abducts the cats in the neighborhood, plays the music or video game excessively loud at 3 am), but he has moments where he seems fairly cognizant of his surroundings. He has trespassed into another tenant's unit, taken packages from my doorstep, smoked inside the garage, spray painted his car in the garage, etc. Anyway, we have discussed placing all these rules in the CC&R's so that we can cite him everytime he disturbs the peace. But the other owners and myself were wondering if we can evict him. Is there anything we can put in our CC&R's that can legally force him to move? I heard that we can do little to force him to sell his condo, but is there a way we, as an association, can force him to leave?
Thanks in advance.

**A: read the House Rules and have the HOA hire an attorney to enforce them. Or when he lies in the middle of the street at night, pick a dark night and run over him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">