• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiance Buying Condo without me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JenMackey

What is the name of your state? New York

Because of my poor credit, my fiance has to purchase a condo without me in order to get a great rate and to take advantage of the many discounts that our City/District is offering. He's purchasing the condo before we are married. Will it be difficult for him to add my name to the Deed once the condo has been purchased?

You Are Guilty

JenMackey said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Because of my poor credit, my fiance has to purchase a condo without me in order to get a great rate and to take advantage of the many discounts that our City/District is offering. He's purchasing the condo before we are married. Will it be difficult for him to add my name to the Deed once the condo has been purchased?
Physically difficult? Not at all. On the other hand, what do you propose on doing when he has a change of heart and doesn't give you a 50% interest?

wdlsguy

None of the down payment is coming out of my pocket.
In that case, it would be foolish for him to put your name on the deed, since your name probably isn't on the mortgage either.

IANAL

BelizeBreeze

Property that was acquired prior to the marriage and kept as separate property after the marriage is considered separate property and not part of the marital estate. In the case you describe the only way to gain a financial/marital interest in the home is for the two of you to refinance DURING the marriage or to convert the home in some other way during the marriage.

Although generally correct, in the case you describe does not lend itself to gaining a financial/marital interest in the increase of value in the home during the marriage. As I said, the only way for this to happen is as a gift or coversion during the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">