• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

flood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbab45

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?South Carolina
I have a upstairs condo where a pipe burst on the hot water heater. It flooded my unit and the unit below me. My insurance company has said i am not responsible for the unit downstairs. Is this true?

justalayman

Was it your water heater or common property?
Did the ins. co. happen to state why you were not liable for the neighbors?

dbab45

hotwater heater

Yes it was my hotwater heater.

The insurance co. asked several questions prior to my questions about being responsible for the tenant below me. The insurance co. stated that each client should contact their own insurance company to repair the damages, due to the fact that we were not there when the incident took place. We live out of town and found out about the problem after it happen. Our Home Owners Association contacted us late yesterday afternoon and explain to us that we needed to contact our insurance co.,as, they also advice the tenant below us.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

justalayman

If your water heater caused the damage, you are more than likely liable for the damages. Your insurance company may simply not want to pay OR you may not have proper coverage to cover damages caused to others in situations like this. You need to know.

If you are liable, which it looks ike you are, then even if the neighbors insurance covers them initially, they will then come to you for re-imbursement of their expenses. If this happens, if you have coverage, your insurance company should them pay this. If you do not have the neccessary coverage, you will still have to pay, only it will be out of your pocket.

HomeGuru

dbab45 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?South Carolina
I have a upstairs condo where a pipe burst on the hot water heater. It flooded my unit and the unit below me. My insurance company has said i am not responsible for the unit downstairs. Is this true?

**A: no, it is not true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">