• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooded out of NYC apartment - 3 yrs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYC CO-OP flood

What is the name of your state? New York

I bought an apartment in Manhattan three years ago and two days before I moved in, it flooded completely from the neighboring abandoned lot. Because the co-op refused to clean it up, toxic mold grew and was not removed for 10 months. Finally, they cleaned out the mold and gutted the apartment. I started to rebuild, and another flood destroyed everything I built.

I was paying for another place to stay in Manhattan (about 6 temporary apartments and some hotels) for the first year and a half. Finally I gave up and moved back in with my mother in California, for the first time since 1985!

I started litigation and we finally have some movement. My question is: how can I determine a settlement amount for three years of frustration, moving in and out of temporary apartments, struggling to pay for two places, credit card debt, arguments with the management company...basically three years of pure hell? My out-of-pocket expenses are about $200,000 or so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">