• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Follow-up Questions to: HOA trying to collect reimbursement for cost not my fault. Th

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moon_Dawgy

My HOA states that I am responsible for flooding that occurred in our building (not due to broken pipes or faulty plumbing). I live of the 3rd floor of a 3 story complex and wanted to change some tapes in my bath so I got permission from the second & first floor tenets to turn off the water to our shared water stacks. While the water was off, the individual in the 1st floor unit opened a faucet, did not turn off the faucet and then left their unit. When I turned the water stacks back on, their unit, their neighbors unit and the common hallway flooded.

The HOA (even though I do not agree with them and still do not admit I am at fault) has assessed me with the following charges which started appearing on my HOA dues bill:

$516 for cleanup to the common area hallway carpet
$1213 for clean-up to the 2 first floor units

I have met with the HOA and they have agreed to waive the $1,213 charge if I pay the $516 charge, but they will not sign a release. They state that if I do not pay the $516 they will proceed with putting a lien on my property.

My issue isn’t with paying the $516, but it is the fear is further action taken by 3rd parties (i.e. the owner of the first floor unit, the neighbor or the neighbor’s insurance company). I would be more than willing to pay the HOA $516, but my I’m afraid that by paying the $516 and the HOA refusing to sign a release, they could turn around and say, “well now we want the $1,213 too” or worse it would look like an admission of guilt and that could be used against me down the road if anyone else decides they want to take action.

My questions are:

- Is paying the agreed upon $516 and official admission of guilt?
- Can the owners of the other units (the insurance company of the neighbor) use my paying of the $516 against me if they decide to take action against me (basically saying, “Well he paid the $516 so he admitting he is responsible and now we want him to pay our damages too”)
- Is there a way of paying the $516 without making it easier for others to take action against me?
- I’ve heard of submitting a “Paying Under Protest” letter along with the $516. Would that help? How would I do this?
- Also someone mentioned to me something about California Civil Code Section 1542 applying to this, but I have no idea what that means or how it applies? Can someone explain?
o California Civil Code Section 1542 - A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his or her favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him or her must have materially affected his or her settlement with the debtor.

I would also accept any other advice that anyone has on my current situation.

Thank you all in advance.

NC Aggie

My HOA states that I am responsible for flooding that occurred in our building (not due to broken pipes or faulty plumbing). I live of the 3rd floor of a 3 story complex and wanted to change some tapes in my bath so I got permission from the second & first floor tenets to turn off the water to our shared water stacks. While the water was off, the individual in the 1st floor unit opened a faucet, did not turn off the faucet and then left their unit. When I turned the water stacks back on, their unit, their neighbors unit and the common hallway flooded.

The HOA (even though I do not agree with them and still do not admit I am at fault) has assessed me with the following charges which started appearing on my HOA dues bill:

$516 for cleanup to the common area hallway carpet
$1213 for clean-up to the 2 first floor units

I have met with the HOA and they have agreed to waive the $1,213 charge if I pay the $516 charge, but they will not sign a release. They state that if I do not pay the $516 they will proceed with putting a lien on my property.

My issue isn’t with paying the $516, but it is the fear is further action taken by 3rd parties (i.e. the owner of the first floor unit, the neighbor or the neighbor’s insurance company). I would be more than willing to pay the HOA $516, but my I’m afraid that by paying the $516 and the HOA refusing to sign a release, they could turn around and say, “well now we want the $1,213 too” or worse it would look like an admission of guilt and that could be used against me down the road if anyone else decides they want to take action.

My questions are:

- Can the owners of the other units (the insurance company of the neighbor) use my paying of the $516 against me if they decide to take action against me (basically saying, “Well he paid the $516 so he admitting he is responsible and now we want him to pay our damages too”)
- Is there a way of paying the $516 without making it easier for others to take action against me?
- I’ve heard of submitting a “Paying Under Protest” letter along with the $516. Would that help? How would I do this?
- Also someone mentioned to me something about California Civil Code Section 1542 applying to this, but I have no idea what that means or how it applies? Can someone explain?
o California Civil Code Section 1542 - A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his or her favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him or her must have materially affected his or her settlement with the debtor.

Thank you all in advance.
Well the HOA cannot sign a lease for property they do not own. Come to think of it, they probably could not collect on damages to the 2 units if they attempted to. So it sounds like you might be back to square one. I think it's debatable whether you're liable for the damages to the 2 units or not.

P.S. You should have responded back to original post you created and not created new thread for the same topic.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

You could sue the owner of the 1st floor condo that was an idiot and left the spigot on. Your damages are the amount you are out. Do you know when you notified them that the water would be off?

NC Aggie

You could sue the owner of the 1st floor condo that was an idiot and left the spigot on. Your damages are the amount you are out. Do you know when you notified them that the water would be off?
Well that's what I asked the O.P. in the other post. Did they give proper notification to residents on the day this work would be done?

Moon_Dawgy

The notification went as such.

I went down to the unit at 10:30 am and my wife was with me.

Knocked on their door.

The individual in the unit would not open the door, but asked who I was from behind.

I identified myself as the owner of the 3rd floor unit and that I needed permission to turn off the stacks so that I could do some plumbing work in my unit that day.

They asked what time I would like to do this.

I said from 12:00 to 2pm.

They said, and I quote, "OK that's fine. I'm leaving in 15 minutes anyway" (keep in mind it was 10:30am).

I said thank you very much.

Unfortunately it was not in writing, but my understanding is that verbal contracts are just as binding as writting.

My big questions are still:

My questions are:

xylene

No diy

Your DIY plumbing was part of why this happened.

Stop your DIY lawyering and hire a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The exact same thing happened in our building.

Was the damage to the two units to their units or to a common element? For instance, in our building, the drywall belongs to the unit owner, not the HOA so the HOA may have no standing - and in the incident in our building, the HOA stayed out of it.

If it was not the HOA, then it is between the unit owners -in our bylaws, the owner has to file insurance with their company and there is no subrogation.

You could argue the unit which left the faucet open was neglegent making the entire thing their fault and you could sue them. However, they will argue in court there was no conversation and then you loose.

You have options: pay and then sue, pay and let it go, or get an attorney. In some small claims courts, attorneys are not allowed to speak.

I'd see an attorney, even if you pay you will need a release in case mold shows up in the future.
Wow, did you even READ the original post? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">