• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forbidden!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mainer38

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ME

Can a Condo Association forbid 2nd floor owners from installing non-carpeted flooring in their unit?

tranquility

The true answer is, what do the organizing documents and amended by-laws say on the matter?

Posting edit:
What LdiJ said, except there may be a clause preventing negative effects to the lower tenant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on the information given, my answer was correct. The rest is supposition.

tranquility

Based on the information given, my answer was correct. The rest is supposition.
Your answer was the supposition. Why do you believe the HOA can tell tenants how to style the interior of the residence?

Unless you're using some Clintonian what is is argument.

"Can" they forbid? Yes. It would be unsuccessful unless they have the power, might be a better way to say it. Well, unless you are trying to intentionally mislead the OP.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your answer was the supposition. Why do you believe the HOA can tell tenants how to style the interior of the residence?

Unless you're using some Clintonian what is is argument.

"Can" they forbid? Yes. It would be unsuccessful unless they have the power, might be a better way to say it. Well, unless you are trying to intentionally mislead the OP.
The question, without further elaboration or information was "Can they..."

The answer is "Yes."

YOU are adding a bunch of "ifs"

tranquility

So, it WAS intended to mislead. Did you have a nun teach you the difference one day between "may" and "can" and you are destined to punish us all?

nextwife

BECAUSE non carpeted upper floors can affect noise levels to units below, it is possible for a HOA to require some level of muffling or cushioning via carpeting and or full coverage rugs. This is NOT telling the occupants what color or style of decor to use.

HomeGuru

The issue here is not one of interior decorating but the noise and sound rating of the hard flooring such as wood, tile etc. Search IIC floor rating. So the answer to the post is yes.

mainer38

Thanks for all the imput.
This matter is up for discussion at the annual meeting. I can understand that it might be an issue regarding the noise but some of the rooms/units already have non-carpet flooring?? Since it's their idea, are they going to pay to have the rugs cleaned yearly or replaced???

nextwife

This matter is up for discussion at the annual meeting. I can understand that it might be an issue regarding the noise but some of the rooms/units already have non-carpet flooring?? Since it's their idea, are they going to pay to have the rugs cleaned yearly or replaced???
Take your shoes off.

mainer38

Well if everyone would do that then there wouldn't be a problem. This whole issue had arised from I do believe a tenant complaining not an owner.

HomeGuru

**A: who is they? If the HOA, then the answer is of course not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">