• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guest banned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

obkl217

in FL,

Hello all, please help me with an issue I am having regarding the rights of the members on the condo association.

I am a guest that visit's my girlfriend's building on the weekends... I normally dont drink, but last weekend i was invited to a tailgate on saturday- and after being highly intoxicated I said an off colored joke going back to her apt in the elevator...it was to the VP of the board ( I didnt know who he was at the time)... He obviously didnt take it too lightly cause he told security to ban me from the building...

my GF got a phone call from the property mgr. monday saying we can do this officially or unofficially, but that i'm not allowed back.

security was informed not only to ban me, but the specifics of what was said and obviously turned in a negative light making me look very bad. It just so happens that some of the security personnel are friends with my brother - who lives in the middle east.... he called me from halfway across the world telling me he heard, as well as a few other friends and family.

aside from the fact that libel is being spread based on a split second lapse in judgement...I am losing sleep and becoming aggravated... they harrassed my girlfriend telling her that she shouldnt date a scumbag like me and kept referring to me as a "thing."

I am pretty sure they have overstepped thier boundaries however my ONLY concern is lifting the ban so that I can stay with my girlfriend. I called the president yesterday and explained that I am being an adult and admitting that I made a mistake and that I would like to sit with the board, face to face so they can see I am not as bad of a guy as he is making me out to be. He understood and mentioned that it wont be necessary to sit with the whole board but maybe just with the 3 of us. (P, VP, and me)

My question is, does this VP have the authority to ban a guest? I mean if your going to charge me with something, then charge me...but does he really how the power to single-handedly decide who can and cannot enter the premises?

Please if anyone has any information on the subject, I appreciate your input.

Thank you!

OHRoadwarrior

Depends on the rules of the Condo Association. Most likely yes they can. I suggest she move to continue dating you or visit at your place.

xylene

aside from the fact that libel is being spread based on a split second lapse in judgement...
Truth is not libel.

Your drunken acts count against you.

Clearly this guy has a lot of power in the running of the building which is legal.

BUT you are being given a chance to tell your side.

I can't see what more you would want at this point.

Really it is your girlfriend who would have to make it a legal fight.

Try groveling.

Antigone*

in FL,

Hello all, please help me with an issue I am having regarding the rights of the members on the condo association.

I am a guest that visit's my girlfriend's building on the weekends... I normally dont drink, but last weekend i was invited to a tailgate on saturday- and after being highly intoxicated I said an off colored joke going back to her apt in the elevator...it was to the VP of the board ( I didnt know who he was at the time)... He obviously didnt take it too lightly cause he told security to ban me from the building...

my GF got a phone call from the property mgr. monday saying we can do this officially or unofficially, but that i'm not allowed back.

security was informed not only to ban me, but the specifics of what was said and obviously turned in a negative light making me look very bad. It just so happens that some of the security personnel are friends with my brother - who lives in the middle east.... he called me from halfway across the world telling me he heard, as well as a few other friends and family.

aside from the fact that libel is being spread based on a split second lapse in judgement...I am losing sleep and becoming aggravated... they harrassed my girlfriend telling her that she shouldnt date a scumbag like me and kept referring to me as a "thing."

I am pretty sure they have overstepped thier boundaries however my ONLY concern is lifting the ban so that I can stay with my girlfriend. I called the president yesterday and explained that I am being an adult and admitting that I made a mistake and that I would like to sit with the board, face to face so they can see I am not as bad of a guy as he is making me out to be. He understood and mentioned that it wont be necessary to sit with the whole board but maybe just with the 3 of us. (P, VP, and me)

My question is, does this VP have the authority to ban a guest? I mean if your going to charge me with something, then charge me...but does he really how the power to single-handedly decide who can and cannot enter the premises?

Please if anyone has any information on the subject, I appreciate your input.

Thank you!
How is telling the truth libel???:rolleyes:

In order to know exactly under what authority the VP acted, we would need to see the CC & Rs. I have a feeling that during your meeting, they will show you exactly under what authority you can be banned. If they don't, then feel free to POLITELY ask.

You Are Guilty

While it is (remotely) possible they can ban you from the common elements at the condo, e.g. the pool, I cannot think of any legal basis under which they can bar you from your girlfriend's unit itself (assuming she consents to you visiting of course).

xylene

While it is (remotely) possible they can ban you from the common elements at the condo, e.g. the pool, I cannot think of any legal basis under which they can bar you from your girlfriend's unit itself (assuming she consents to you visiting of course).
I am strongly inclined to agree with this given the facts here.

Particularly given that being off color is not a crime and this Condo executive is being a a pompous prig.

obkl217

thank you for all your input...

let me clarify a few things...the comment was in no way offensive by means of race prejudice or anything other than a distasteful joke that he personally didnt like...

however, the context of which he spun what i had said when he told security and management to ban me- obviously makes me look like a very very bad and evil person to say the least....with that said, is it libel if he sends out a memo to the security with the details, including his apparent "spin" on the incident...turning a bad joke into a blatantly rude and disgusting statement? and if he verbally told them, is it not slander?

telling security to ban me is one thing. twisting my words and taking them out of context to embarrass me is another. I have not had any opportunity to represent myself aside from the 2 phone calls I made.. both responded positive to my conversations, however there is no urgency on their end to solve this matter as quickly as possible. (before the weekend when I visit)

What steps should I take at this point to resolve this?

xylene

Step 1: You meet with the guy and apologize. You can't control how people take things. His being offended is not a lie. Let the slander thing go. Your brother doesn't matter. Hope he drops it and stay away from him and never speak to ANYONE at the complex but your girlfriend again EVER. Learn your limit.

Step 2 (if step 1 fails): YOUR GIRLFRIEND, (not you) has to assert her rights as a condo owner and say "This is my visitor and you have no right to bar him from my property on the basis of a tactless joke."

Mass_Shyster

There's not much to do to resolve the ban. It is perfectly legal for them to TELL you that you are banned, and there is no way you can force them to SAY that you are not banned.

If they actually prevent you from visiting, that's another issue.

obkl217

having said that, what WILL happen if i show up on friday?

Do they have a legal right to not let me in? If I walk in with my girlfriend straight past them do they have the right to use force? will police get involved?

I cannot get ahold of the VP as his number isnt listed like the property mgr and Pres.
I have made it clear to both that I am anxious in resolving this as quickly as possible.

To make matters worse (or more stressful) I am Jewish and this weekend, friday night is Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year. I do not drive, eat, watch tv, or even turn on lights... I live in palm beach but my synogague is in Miami ( you cant walk into a random synogague...you need tickets..just like a sporting event)... The only way I can observe my holiday is if I have a place to stay (with my girlfriend) and right now I feel I am going to be stuck up here by myself unable to practice the holiday.

So frustrated.

obkl217

Go down on Thursday.

Palm beach is 45 minutes away.
how does that make any sense? I have to observe the holiday on friday-saturday and I have no place to stay. what would showing up on thursday do? (please dont answer that.)

swalsh411

Visit your girlfriend. Be low key. Don't talk to anybody. Mind your own business. You'll be fine.

edit: Do they fall off during the holidays or something? Sheesh...

Last edited by a moderator:

xylene

what would showing up on thursday do? (please dont answer that.)
Ummmmmmmmm it would tell you what was going to happen so you could have the confrontation then... rather than when it would ruin the holy day for you.

But I think swalsh411 is also quite on point.

obkl217

lol thank you..and that is what i plan on doing... i called a few other property managers around the area and they say the security could possibly only go so far as to write an incident report...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">