• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gutter and water issues causing damage to my unit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tilliepoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I live in a condo that has excessive water surrounding me in my ground floor unit. They do not have proper irrigation system and when it rains I always have a few
feet of water around my back doorwall and patio and it has caused cracks in my porch. Im deathly afraid that water will start getting into the house, and I don't
have a basement..thank goodness. Anyways, my gutter above my porch also leaks. The HOA sent a few guys out and they put some calking on it, but its
worse than ever. I have put several complaints over these issues to the HOA for the last year since we moved in, and when I called them last week, they
told me they are aware of the huge issue, but don't have the money to fix it. I asked them what if I start get water into my unit, they said oh well.

What if water starts causing some major foundation issues and damages caused inside my home? Im on a slab and just had new flooring put in last year?
Im not going to file a claim with my insurance co when they are at fault for not fixing the problem first? what options do I have, besides a legal one?

thanks

tilliepoo

FarmerJ

Dont call them any more , use registered return receipt mail and put your concerns and complaints in writing, keep a copy for your self with your registered mail receipts and then use the links above to speak to a real estate attorney who has experience in HOA/ Condo before there is other damage and I would say what you may want to do is plan as if some day you may have to sue the board. Then work on learning how much money they have on hand for repairs and if the HOAs funds are low you want to know why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">