• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here's a new one (?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perfectform07

State of CA.

Ok, so my neighbor is an 85 yr old man. He says that my Plasma TV interferes with his AM radio (which is the only medium he uses, no cable tv, no internet, nothing.) I've bent over backwards to try and fix the problem all to no avail. FInally I tell him it's out of my hands and he will have to figure something else out, he says he has no choice but to go the the board and complain.

My question is, (without reading my cc&rs, which I don't have yet) can the board really regulate what kind of TV one has in their condo? I know, crazy right?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

John_DFW

Proximity matters.

If this is a shared wall and the TV is mounted to the wall and the radio on a shelf directly on the other side of the wall, would be worst case scenario.

Essentially every electronic item sold in the US undergoes some form of emitted radiation testing, so unless your TV is defective, I don't see how you have any responsibility to correct the issue.

You and the neighbor may try moving the radio or TV to a further away location to see if it helps.

Your neighbor should look into EMI filtering or suppression for his radio.

You Are Guilty

Presumably, your CC&Rs, like every other set in existence, say something along the lines of "residents shall take no actions that interfere with the rights of other residents". Which arguably would support some sort of fine against you if the plasma is, in fact, screwing with the guy's radio.

Absent such a rule, you are free to tell the neighbor to go jump in a lake. (Or, perhaps, offer to buy him the filter mentioned above instead).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">