• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hidden camera laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlphndoc

What is the name of your state? Virginia

We purchased our condo in November 2004. Last month, April 2006, we found out through a series of unrelated events that our building has several well hidden cameras in common areas (they are disguised as smoke detectors). The cameras are kept running 24 hours a day and the contents are recorded to tape without audio. The tapes are reviewed by our maintenance men, provided by our management company, periodically. The contents of the tapes are them used to fine co-owners for breaking rules. There are no postings of surveillance equipment or security cameras. The existence of the cameras is not listed in the homeowner's handbook. When I questioned the board members at the last board meeting about the existence of the cameras, placement, disclosure, etc. they denied the existence of them. Later, in the executive session, we were told that the board did not want the residents to know about the cameras because it would defeat the purpose of having them. My question is: Is this legal? Is the board required to notify the owners about the existence and placement of these cameras? Does there need to be a posting somewhere stating that the area is under surveillance? What are the laws regarding hidden cameras without audio in Virginia?

Along the same lines...Our building budget allows for the salaries of the maintenance guys, payment to the management company, AND payment to a security company. In questioning the board about this I found out that the "security company" that is paid is actually an extra payment that is given to the maintenance guys for doing our security surveillance. Is this legal? Should this be disclosed to owners?

Thanks,
Dlphndoc

seniorjudge

dlphndoc said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

We purchased our condo in November 2004. Last month, April 2006, we found out through a series of unrelated events that our building has several well hidden cameras in common areas (they are disguised as smoke detectors). The cameras are kept running 24 hours a day and the contents are recorded to tape without audio. The tapes are reviewed by our maintenance men, provided by our management company, periodically. The contents of the tapes are them used to fine co-owners for breaking rules. There are no postings of surveillance equipment or security cameras. The existence of the cameras is not listed in the homeowner's handbook. When I questioned the board members at the last board meeting about the existence of the cameras, placement, disclosure, etc. they denied the existence of them. Later, in the executive session, we were told that the board did not want the residents to know about the cameras because it would defeat the purpose of having them. My question is: Is this legal? Is the board required to notify the owners about the existence and placement of these cameras? Does there need to be a posting somewhere stating that the area is under surveillance? What are the laws regarding hidden cameras without audio in Virginia?

Along the same lines...Our building budget allows for the salaries of the maintenance guys, payment to the management company, AND payment to a security company. In questioning the board about this I found out that the "security company" that is paid is actually an extra payment that is given to the maintenance guys for doing our security surveillance. Is this legal? Should this be disclosed to owners?

Thanks,
Dlphndoc

What do your CCRs say about your questions?

dlphndoc

I'm sorry I don't know what CCR stands for. I have thoroughly read through all documentation that was provided when we purchased our unit. There is NO mention of anything pertaining to security, cameras, surveillance, or anything of the like. Unfortunately our board decided to cancel our building newsletter, it gave too much information about the board meetings and goings on in the building.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">