• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Architectual Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosurfzac

What is the name of your state? NC

I have submitted a request for a fence, I have been denied all 3 times, twice by the architectual committee, and once by the board of directors. I live on a corner lot and I want my fence to start at the end of our driveway. Our by-laws state that it must come off the rear corner of your home, Unless approved by the Arch. committee. I have sumitted several reasons for having our fence at the end of the dirveway. I supplied them with both drawings & photographs. I was able to speak to the board of directors about our request, and they still denied it. Why? Because the rules state off the back corner of the house. They have decided that there will be no exceptions. There are a lot of home with the fence starting in the middle of their homes, if I were asking for something different that what is all ready allowed I would understand, but I'm not.

Is there anything legally that I can do? By having our fence start where they want it, it will looks ackward. I would also cost us an extra $5000 - $6000 more because we would have to add on to our driveway, and build a gazebo and do a mass planting to hide the hot tub. Or the other suggestion they had, move our heat pump to the other side of our house, and punch a hole in our brick wall to put a door in so we can put the hot tub were our heat pump was.

What do you think? Is there anything I can do legally to get them to allow me to put up our fence like we want it?

Linda

seniorjudge

Q: Is there anything I can do legally to get them to allow me to put up our fence like we want it?

A: Yes. Sue them. Set aside around $20K and two years before it is all resolved.

Shel77

The only suggestion I have is that when you get a new board and or ARC try again maybe they will approve it. The other fences that were approved may have been approved by a previous board or ARC. There are many homeowners that did not like the ARC last year and just waited until the new BOD came in and reapplied and got approved it just depends on what each BOD and ARC decide to do when they are allowed thos decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">