• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA is billing for damage we did not cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GMKOH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif

My brother and I own a townhouse in San Diego County, CA. The house is leased. Six months after a previous tenant moved out, the HOA notified us that there was damage to the rain gutters over the garage and that it was caused by our tenants. The HOA came to this conclusion because one of the board members says he saw a Uhaul truck parked in front of the unit, then another individual sometime subsequent to the move out noticed the damage. The HOA has assesed us $200 for repairs. We appealed to the board, but they did not relent.
Our tenants categorically deny damaging the gutter, and admit they had a uhaul, but it was parked parallel on the street and not backed into the driveway (the driveway is about 6 feet long). My wife has observed landscapers' trucks using this small driveway to turn around. no one saw the damage occur, nor is there anything more than a general time association.
We are refusing to pay this, and the HOA has started adding interest as well as charging $25/month "letter fee" for sending a separate notification that our account is overdue.
Since this is a townhouse, the exterior is community property and community responsibility. We would only be responsible if the damage was caused by us (or our tenants).
What are our recourse's? I do not think we can take them to court, since we have not suffered any damage yet. Can we acknowledge the fact that we have not paid the assessment and tell them to stop sending the $25 letter? (is that legal anyway?). Can we definitively tell them we are not paying, to either take action now against us or remove the charges?
Any help as to what direction we can take would be appreciated.

festival

The association can add interest, collection fees and hire an attorney, and then add all these fees to the amount you owe (which means you pay for their lawyer to pursue you). They can put a lien on your townhouse and attempt to foreclose. The board has a duty to try to collect unpaid assessments. They probably have more resources than you do.

California's Davis-Sterling law requires the HOA to follow due process, to provide notice, and give you a hearing to consider evidence. You might want to learn about this law to negotiate with the board to reduce or eliminate the charges.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Calif

My brother and I own a townhouse in San Diego County, CA. The house is leased. Six months after a previous tenant moved out, the HOA notified us that there was damage to the rain gutters over the garage and that it was caused by our tenants. The HOA came to this conclusion because one of the board members says he saw a Uhaul truck parked in front of the unit, then another individual sometime subsequent to the move out noticed the damage. The HOA has assesed us $200 for repairs. We appealed to the board, but they did not relent.
Our tenants categorically deny damaging the gutter, and admit they had a uhaul, but it was parked parallel on the street and not backed into the driveway (the driveway is about 6 feet long). My wife has observed landscapers' trucks using this small driveway to turn around. no one saw the damage occur, nor is there anything more than a general time association.
We are refusing to pay this, and the HOA has started adding interest as well as charging $25/month "letter fee" for sending a separate notification that our account is overdue.
Since this is a townhouse, the exterior is community property and community responsibility. We would only be responsible if the damage was caused by us (or our tenants).
What are our recourse's? I do not think we can take them to court, since we have not suffered any damage yet. Can we acknowledge the fact that we have not paid the assessment and tell them to stop sending the $25 letter? (is that legal anyway?). Can we definitively tell them we are not paying, to either take action now against us or remove the charges?
Any help as to what direction we can take would be appreciated.
**A: my opinon is to pay it. It would cost you a lot more to fight it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">