• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Board Member Intoxicated at Special Meeting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bristolwood

What is the name of your state? California

I attended a special meeting last night for the recall of our HOA board. The recall did not go through (16 for to 27 against) however the conduct of the board members was appalling. The secretary was visibly drunk and alcohol was present on his breath. He cursed at the homeowners and ranted about nonsense that didnt have anything to do with the meeting. He yelled at a homeowner to sit down and shut up. The president would not control him and the treasurer resigned. What is to be done about this loose cannon and the president who allowed him to get out of control?

HELP!:eek:
in San Diego California

samk

bristolwood said:
What is the name of your state? California

I attended a special meeting last night for the recall of our HOA board. The recall did not go through (16 for to 27 against) however the conduct of the board members was appalling. The secretary was visibly drunk and alcohol was present on his breath. He cursed at the homeowners and ranted about nonsense that didnt have anything to do with the meeting. He yelled at a homeowner to sit down and shut up. The president would not control him and the treasurer resigned. What is to be done about this loose cannon and the president who allowed him to get out of control?

HELP!:eek:
in San Diego California
Curse the fact that you ever moved someplace with an HOA?

Shel77

Board members are volenters and over the age of 18 so your coment about the president that allowed him to behave that way doesn't really fly. If the other board members want to vote him off they may with a magority vote in nearly all instances. It is improper for a board member to be intoxicated at a meeting however I seriously doubt your CC&R's touch on this subject and if this was a one time thing nothing "needs" to be done about it. As long as the board is functioning and everything is taken care of I wouldn't worry about it. :) Also I find that although sometimes annoying a HOA is in most cases a much nicer option that living next to people who do maintain their yards leave junk cars everywhere have 10 pets some classified to most as "farm animals" and the city usually can't do much. But hey everyone has their own opinion of HOA's I would never live in a community without one and some never want to live in one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">