• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hoa laws for california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maxdhs

California HOA laws.

I live in a gated community. With my house I also own my land, however some units still pay rent on their land which is own by one of the members of the board of directors.

We all pay HOA dues monthly.

Question 1: If each unit pays HOA dues monthly who gets to vote the unit paying the dues or the person that own that land? IE the board of director member.

Question 2: I am also on the social committee. The chairman sitting in this position is also a member of the board of diretors. Is this a conflict of interest by holding 2 positions?

thank you for your time.

max

HomeGuru

maxdhs said:
California HOA laws.

I live in a gated community. With my house I also own my land, however some units still pay rent on their land which is own by one of the members of the board of directors.

We all pay HOA dues monthly.

Question 1: If each unit pays HOA dues monthly who gets to vote the unit paying the dues or the person that own that land? IE the board of director member.

Question 2: I am also on the social committee. The chairman sitting in this position is also a member of the board of diretors. Is this a conflict of interest by holding 2 positions?

thank you for your time.

max

**A: read your HOA documents.

HomeGuru

maxdhs said:
California.

Does California have and HOA ombudsman?

max

**A: I do not know although you can contact the state and ask them.
Keep in mind that most HOA's are non-governmental private entities. There may be like a neighborhood justice center or mediation that could help.
But in general those types of offices stay out of private HOA issues.

Last edited:

powerguru

Management of HOA

I am in California and our HOA Management Co is not living up to their obligations per by-laws etc. The board wants to fire the Management and become self managed. How is this done?

wayne-o

On question #2 I think it is fairly routine that board members head up the various committees. Some things that a social committe might do would need HOA funds etc. etc.

HomeGuru

powerguru said:
I am in California and our HOA Management Co is not living up to their obligations per by-laws etc. The board wants to fire the Management and become self managed. How is this done?

**A: please start your own thread.

Annless

Conflict of Interst?

Our Board Presidents wife is being paid to clean the pool bathrooms. Is this a conflict of interest? (Homeowners complain they are always dirty, so she's not even doing a good job.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">