• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Liability Ins. Policies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Team Work

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

If a former tenant sues a condo HOA and the owner of another unit (not the person they were renting from), is the HOA obligated to assist the owner being sued with legal representation under the HOAs liability policy? My gut reaction is to say, no, that the owner should have similar coverage under their own, individual homeowners insurance policy. But, I'd like to be sure. Any help is appreciated.

Team Work

Thanks. In essence, a tenant had a dispute with the owner next door over night time noise. The tenant then moved out and is suing the HOA and the owner for emotional distress, among other things. The HOA then received a letter from an attorney claiming to be assisting the owner. It said that his assumption was that since the owner's monthly assessments were used, in part, to pay for the HOAs liability insurance, that the HOA should assist with the owner's defense in the suit. He then asked for the name and contact of the HOAs attorney being provided by the insurance company. I hope that helps.

tranquility

Since the insurance company IS covering it, the contract may give some third party beneficiary rights (And, the tenant waived any potential conflict of interest with the HOA.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">