• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA paying a bill that is not theirs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhitman14511

What is the name of your state? Mass
There was some water damage done and the HOA hired a company to come in first thing in the morning. We had no contact with the HOA on this, other than someone saying that the restoration company is coming in the AM.
We received the bill from the restoration company and we forwarded it to the HOA. Short story is that the resotration company called the HOA, threatened to take me to court, so the HOA said they would pay it and collect it from me.
But what the HOA didn't know was I was disputing the bill with the restoration company. It's $500, but now they are cahring me late fees and have since brought their attorney into this. My attorney, after reading the letter from the HOA stating that it was a business decision to pay, agreed that since it's a business decison made, the HOA has taken ownership of the problem. Without contacting me, they went ahead and paid the invoice I was fighting. Can they do this? If it's not their bill, can they pay it, charge me, and now get a lawyer to go after me? Thank you.

HomeGuru

jhitman14511 said:
What is the name of your state? Mass
There was some water damage done and the HOA hired a company to come in first thing in the morning. We had no contact with the HOA on this, other than someone saying that the restoration company is coming in the AM.
We received the bill from the restoration company and we forwarded it to the HOA. Short story is that the resotration company called the HOA, threatened to take me to court, so the HOA said they would pay it and collect it from me.
But what the HOA didn't know was I was disputing the bill with the restoration company. It's $500, but now they are cahring me late fees and have since brought their attorney into this. My attorney, after reading the letter from the HOA stating that it was a business decision to pay, agreed that since it's a business decison made, the HOA has taken ownership of the problem. Without contacting me, they went ahead and paid the invoice I was fighting. Can they do this? If it's not their bill, can they pay it, charge me, and now get a lawyer to go after me? Thank you.

**A: yes, yes and yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">