• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA preventing members from speaking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyTampa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

First, let me say that this site doesn't appear to work in Firefox and that while I was writing this post, my sign-in expired and I lost everything. Grrrr....

My girlfriend bought a house around 20 years ago in a deed-restricted community. My name is not on the deed. In that time, I have attended several Board of Directors meetings of the HOA and even served as a Director for a year. She went to one meeting and said it was too boring and I can go for her if I want to. We got involved when we received a violation letter that was wrong. I then found out that many were even for items not in our deed restrictions. Our documents define a member as a person who holds interest in a property, so officially, I am not a homeowner, but they had never had a problem with that. They do specifically state that a Director does not have to be a home-owner. My presence on the board kept them from sending out invalid letters. I felt confident in its leadership when I left to tend to personal matters.

Since then, a dictatorship seems to have emerged. The board has 8 Directors and 4 of them are two husband and wife teams. One of the husbands has now left the board and become the CAM, but his wife is still on the board. Allegedly, she does not vote on items regarding the CAM. I went to a meeting just to see how it was going and commented on one thing. That's when I was informed that the board had created a resolution about how members are to speak at the meeting. I looked into it and found that the board has issued this resolution and implemented it contrary to Florida law. Florida law states that all members have a right to speak on any agenda item or item discussed in the meeting for a minimum of 3 minutes but that the board can adopt reasonable rules expanding those rights. The board created a rule that members can only speak on two items for a maximum of 3 minutes each and they must sign up in advance to speak. Then they address the member forum after all agenda items have been decided.

At the next meeting, with the help of a director, this rule and invalid violation letters were put on the agenda. I signed up and spoke on those items. Apparently, this didn't sit well with the President. At the next meeting, last week, she had brought the association attorney, using association funds, without a vote from the directors. She only informed the directors she is friends with, the CAM, and his employees that he was coming. I signed up to speak on any items discussed per state law and their rules, but the first order of business, which was not on the agenda, was to keep non-homeowners from attending the meetings. This seems to conflict with the rule that directors don't have to be members, since they can't be elected if they're not allowed into a meeting. Friends of the president outnumber the directors that try to follow the rules and the resolution was passed. The fifth vote they need (a non-member) only shows up at meetings when they have pre-decided the outcome. The CAM's wife voted on this rule which seems to be a conflict of interest since my willingness to speak on their improprieties affects the relationship with the CAM, and could affect her family income. I was told to leave the meeting. I also have been told by two people that one of the CAM's employees who is not a homeowner was allowed to stay and another homeowner who has become an employee of the CAM signed up to speak on "the Andy problem" (that's me). Board members had already spoken about board business with the CAM and his employees and decided the results before the meeting. This is two homes deciding the fates of 917 homes.

Am I the only one that sees anything wrong with the above?

Can I be designated a proxy, agent, or power of attorney to be allowed back into the meeting and speak for my girlfriend, the member? Which would be best?

Also, since directors routinely gather proxies from members for the annual election, wouldn't I also be allowed to gather them from multiple members and speak twice on each item for each member or would I have to group them?

TigerD

Repeat after me: Not my circus, not my monkeys.

This is your girlfriend's problem - not yours.

TD

FlyingRon

No, you don't have any rights. If your girlfriend wishes to obtain the services of a real attorney, he will know what to do and is legally empowered to speak for her.

OK-LL

You should look into your state law regarding HOAs and corporations (assuming the HOA is a corporation) and look at the HOA's governing documents to determine whether you, as a non-member, can carry a proxy for a member. If non-members are being barred from meetings, it would stand to reason that the non-member Director should be barred under that rule. I would argue that barring non-members is in direct opposition to the obvious intent of the governing documents which allow a non-member to become a Director. You are discovering the wonderful would of "nobodies who get a little power and let it go to their heads". Unfortunately, most BODs are made up of these.

AndyTampa

Less than helpful.

Repeat after me: Not my circus, not my monkeys.

This is your girlfriend's problem - not yours.

TD
My girlfriend has no problem. I'm asking the question, so it's my problem.

I live here. I share in the bills. After years of participating, I am being shut out by the dictatorship. It's my problem.

I asked questions. If you don't want to answer the questions that I asked, then don't answer at all. Don't be sarcastic and rude.

FlyingRon

You're not an owner. It's not your issue. They're possibly not obliged to let you speak or even attend the meetings. It's impossible to tell without seeing the bylaws.
You have no right to see those either.

If your girlfriend wants to push the issue, she should consult an attorney.

AndyTampa

You're not an owner. It's not your issue. They're possibly not obliged to let you speak or even attend the meetings. It's impossible to tell without seeing the bylaws.
You have no right to see those either.

If your girlfriend wants to push the issue, she should consult an attorney.
Doesn't the fact that I have been allowed to represent her at these meetings for years, plus the fact that I am allowed by the by-laws to be a Director and have in fact been a Director set a precedent?

There are currently three non-homeowners serving as Directors. If non-homeowners are now barred from the meeting, should the serving Directors also be barred?

What if they don't ask attendees to present proof of membership or take an attendance to match against the ownership list? Didn't they just make a rule that is specific to me? Is that legal?

Last edited:

AndyTampa

Florida State Law regarding Not-For-Profit Corporations

This association is incorporated as a Corporation Not For Profit in the State of Florida. I believe 617.0721(2) allows her to vote by proxy, but would that include speaking for the owner at the Board of Directors meetings?

The 2014 Florida Statutes

Title XXXVI
BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS

Chapter 617
CORPORATIONS NOT FOR PROFIT

View Entire Chapter
617.0721 Voting by members.—
(1) Members are not entitled to vote except as conferred by the articles of incorporation or the bylaws.
(2) A member who is entitled to vote may vote in person or, unless the articles of incorporation or the bylaws otherwise provide, may vote by proxy executed in writing by the member or by his or her duly authorized attorney in fact. An appointment of a proxy is not valid after 11 months following the date of its execution unless otherwise provided in the proxy.
(a) If directors or officers are to be elected by members, the bylaws may provide that such elections may be conducted by mail.
(b) A corporation may reject a vote, consent, waiver, or proxy appointment if the secretary or other officer or agent authorized to tabulate votes, acting in good faith, has a reasonable basis for doubting the validity of the signature on it or the signatory’s authority to sign for the member.
(3) If authorized by the board of directors, and subject to such guidelines and procedures as the board of directors may adopt, members and proxy holders who are not physically present at a meeting may, by means of remote communication:
(a) Participate in the meeting.
(b) Be deemed to be present in person and vote at the meeting if:
1. The corporation implements reasonable means to verify that each person deemed present and authorized to vote by means of remote communication is a member or proxy holder; and
2. The corporation implements reasonable measures to provide such members or proxy holders with a reasonable opportunity to participate in the meeting and to vote on matters submitted to the members, including an opportunity to communicate and to read or hear the proceedings of the meeting substantially concurrent with the proceedings.

Last edited:

AndyTampa

Additional Laws

Additionally, this is included in the definitions of Homeowners Associations - Florida Statute 720.301

(9) “Homeowners’ association” or “association” means a Florida corporation responsible for the operation of a community or a mobile home subdivision in which the voting membership is made up of parcel owners or their agents, or a combination thereof, and in which membership is a mandatory condition of parcel ownership, and which is authorized to impose assessments that, if unpaid, may become a lien on the parcel. The term “homeowners’ association” does not include a community development district or other similar special taxing district created pursuant to statute.
(10) “Member” means a member of an association, and may include, but is not limited to, a parcel owner or an association representing parcel owners or a combination thereof, and includes any person or entity obligated by the governing documents to pay an assessment or amenity fee.

What does it take to become an agent?

Silverplum

My girlfriend has no problem. I'm asking the question, so it's my problem.

I live here. I share in the bills. After years of participating, I am being shut out by the dictatorship. It's my problem.

I asked questions. If you don't want to answer the questions that I asked, then don't answer at all. Don't be sarcastic and rude.
Don't be unpleasant to the nice volunteers. You don't have an ownership stake in this: do you really need to be told that? Do you find it rude to be told the obvious truth?

:rolleyes:

AndyTampa

Don't be unpleasant to the nice volunteers. You don't have an ownership stake in this: do you really need to be told that? Do you find it rude to be told the obvious truth?

:rolleyes:
Do you really think it's necessary to be told the obvious truth in such a manner? I asked specific questions and the person gave a sarcastic reply. I didn't ask if I had a stake in this. And I don't find this truth to be true. After 20 years living here under the rule of the HOA, and having been allowed participation in its affairs for those years, and having the legal right to be a Director on the board by its own documents, then I certainly have a stake in this.

There are documents that give the legal authority to represent someone in certain circumstances and that is what I asked about. She designated that I represent her at the meetings, but I want to know how to do it legally so that they can't refuse. There are things called proxies, agents, and powers of attorney, but I don't fully understand what each of those are or let me do. That is what I asked about. I also asked if anyone saw anything wrong with what they are doing and nobody has even answered that question. I know the obvious. I was kicked out for the obvious.

Silverplum

Do you really think it's necessary to be told the obvious truth in such a manner? I asked specific questions and the person gave a sarcastic reply. I didn't ask if I had a stake in this. And I don't find this truth to be true. After 20 years living here under the rule of the HOA, and having been allowed participation in its affairs for those years, and having the legal right to be a Director on the board by its own documents, then I certainly have a stake in this.

There are documents that give the legal authority to represent someone in certain circumstances and that is what I asked about. She designated that I represent her at the meetings, but I want to know how to do it legally so that they can't refuse. There are things called proxies, agents, and powers of attorney, but I don't fully understand what each of those are or let me do. That is what I asked about. I also asked if anyone saw anything wrong with what they are doing and nobody has even answered that question. I know the obvious. I was kicked out for the obvious.
I think you would work best with a paid attorney, one who is charging you by the minute to listen to your complaints.

:cool:

AndyTampa

I think you would work best with a paid attorney, one who is charging you by the minute to listen to your complaints.

:cool:
I didn't make complaints. I asked questions on a "Free Advice" forum that have yet to be answered. Now if you're not going to answer the questions I asked, stop answering questions I didn't ask.

festival

Here are some ideas,just things I've heard of. You will have to evaluate them for yourself and/or get an attorney. Hope it helps.

Your girlfriend can give you power of attorney for this purpose, but they don't have to accept it. It might work, so go ahead. And if they reject it, it may make them look bad.

I think "agent" is for corporation ownership (or trust, or during probate, etc). I don't think it applies, but on the other hand your girlfriend can write it up and get it notarized. Might work, so why not?

Proxy. Not sure it applies, but why not?

Your girlfriend can put you on the deed and record it. Then you are both owners and entitled to go to board meetings.

Your girlfriend can give you 1% ownership, then you are an owner and entitled to go to board meetings.

What do your documents (and state law) say about who is an owner and member?

Your girlfriend can sell her property to you in a contract sale. She retains title until you fulfill all the terms of the contract (such as paying tons of money which you will never do), and the contract assigns her rights to you. The contract has to be Recorded like a deed. Check your governing documents (or state law): I think you will find that a contract buyer is considered an owner and member.

And then there is politics. Get on the board again, as that will certainly get you into the meetings. Or just threaten to run for the board if they don't let you in. Threaten to create a newsletter if they don't let you attend.

Yes, they can create a rule just for you, along the lines of "owners and invited guests only".

I'm not sure if they are a dictatorship, or just trying to be convenient.

I did not take the other responses as rude, just frank statements. It stimulates the discussion and works in your favor. I suggest clarifying to get more responses, but not shutting them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">