• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA requiring things that arent their biz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lowen715

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My hoa is responsible for the exterior, grounds, and termite control for my condo. They are telling me that I have to put in a vapor barrier in the crawl space under the condo for termite ctrl and moisture. There has never been a moisture problem and there is not one now. They are telling me that if I dont put it in by october then they will do it and charge me. My question is do they have the right to tell me to do this---I am the home owner, I pay high fees for HOA monthly, and if they want it then they should pay for it, otherwise legally it should not be my problem. There is nothing in my bylaws stating that if they tell me the condo needs something then I must do it. As a homeowner I feel that I should decide if this should be done if the HOA does not feel they have responsibility for it. It is not that expensive, but it is the principle behind this and it also is unnecessary.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
Lowen

HomeGuru

lowen715 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My hoa is responsible for the exterior, grounds, and termite control for my condo. They are telling me that I have to put in a vapor barrier in the crawl space under the condo for termite ctrl and moisture. There has never been a moisture problem and there is not one now. They are telling me that if I dont put it in by october then they will do it and charge me. My question is do they have the right to tell me to do this---I am the home owner, I pay high fees for HOA monthly, and if they want it then they should pay for it, otherwise legally it should not be my problem. There is nothing in my bylaws stating that if they tell me the condo needs something then I must do it. As a homeowner I feel that I should decide if this should be done if the HOA does not feel they have responsibility for it. It is not that expensive, but it is the principle behind this and it also is unnecessary.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
Lowen
**A: send a letter to them requesting that they provide you with written proof from the CC&R's that an individual homeowner is required to pay for something that will be in a common area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">