• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Responsibility of Structural Damage??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gddess

What is the name of your state? Washington State

A couple of years ago, Seattle experienced a rather large earthquake that has caused severe damage to the foundation and overall structure of my building. Basically, I live in a two story condo and the second story has an overhang to my backyard, this overhang is now sloping, which has affected the outside area... The door to my storage unit (which is attached to my deck and the overhang) barely closes and you can see that the door really doesn't fit in the frame anymore... I was told that during another project this year which all of the roofs were going to be replaced that the structural damage would be fixed... When the roofers came out and inspected the problems they said that this did not have anything to do with them but that the foundation is cracking and is probably starting to sink which is causing the sloping effects. The HOA is claiming that this is not their responsibility to fix and even though I want to move and will not be able to sell it very easily (considering there is structural damage) they will not do anything about it... Is the HOA responsibile for fixing this and or is this just a lost cause?

HomeGuru

gddess said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

A couple of years ago, Seattle experienced a rather large earthquake that has caused severe damage to the foundation and overall structure of my building. Basically, I live in a two story condo and the second story has an overhang to my backyard, this overhang is now sloping, which has affected the outside area... The door to my storage unit (which is attached to my deck and the overhang) barely closes and you can see that the door really doesn't fit in the frame anymore... I was told that during another project this year which all of the roofs were going to be replaced that the structural damage would be fixed... When the roofers came out and inspected the problems they said that this did not have anything to do with them but that the foundation is cracking and is probably starting to sink which is causing the sloping effects. The HOA is claiming that this is not their responsibility to fix and even though I want to move and will not be able to sell it very easily (considering there is structural damage) they will not do anything about it... Is the HOA responsibile for fixing this and or is this just a lost cause?

**A; we have no idea since the answer would be contained in your CC&R's.
Read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">