• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA skylight repair responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey--In New Jersey, who is responsible for the repair of a leaky skylight that was installed with the original building construction? Is it the HOA responsibility or the condominium owner? Owner is being told it is her responsibility since they consider the skylight a window now--they informed her the HOA changed the law 5 years ago. She was never informed nor, did she vote for this change and I (being her daughter) cannot imagine any other resident on the top floor voting for this change. She is 94 years old so I am trying to help her get to the bottom of this and see what her options are. Thank you.

xylene

What would a skylight be considered other than a window?

Your mom may not have voted for it, that doesn't mean it didn't pass.

Maybe bottom floor residents were thrilled.

Have you (or her) requested to read the bylaws?

re:skylight repair

In response to your reply. We are assuming a ceiling skylight would be part of the roof--that's the confusion. The condo was built with skylights in the roof throughout the top floor of all buildings. And, if this was taken to issue 5 years ago and voted on by a resident meeting to change the original bylaws, she was not informed of the meeting. She has questioned other residents who have top floor units and none of them are aware of this change. All of them have told her that it was the HOA's responsibility to take care of the repairs because it is considered "exterior". So, therefore, that is where the confusions is. I have requested a copy of the bylaws and the actual date this supposedly took place and have been informed that it will take a week to get that information. It appears that no one is aware of this "meeting/voting" that took place. We find it somewhat strange.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">