• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA special assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queenie680

What is the name of your state? California, Los Angeles County

Last year there was a lot of rain. I noticed that there was a leak on my ceiling and in another section of my condo the carpet was drenched. I called our property manager to fix it. Keep in mind that our property manager is not nice at all. It took 6 months to fix. In the meantime workers came to tear out my carpet and my walls and it was left like that I lived for 6 months without carpet in my living room, no dry wall in my dining room, and with mold building day by day. Not to mention when it rained water was coming in still. Imagine living like that. Finally they were able to fix it, but by then there was no more rain. So to this day I’m not sure if it was completely fixed until we get some more rain. So here is the problem, recently they sent every unit in our complex a special assessment of $1000 for all the damages that the HOA had to pay last year and this year. I don't feel like I should pay this assessment due to the fact that I’m not even sure my problems are fixed and to the fact that fixing took 6 months! $1000 is a lot of money, I feel like we are getting ripped off. I don't know what our HOA is doing with our money. I need help what should I do. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Serena

HomeGuru

queenie680 said:
What is the name of your state? California, Los Angeles County

Last year there was a lot of rain. I noticed that there was a leak on my ceiling and in another section of my condo the carpet was drenched. I called our property manager to fix it. Keep in mind that our property manager is not nice at all. It took 6 months to fix. In the meantime workers came to tear out my carpet and my walls and it was left like that I lived for 6 months without carpet in my living room, no dry wall in my dining room, and with mold building day by day. Not to mention when it rained water was coming in still. Imagine living like that. Finally they were able to fix it, but by then there was no more rain. So to this day I’m not sure if it was completely fixed until we get some more rain. So here is the problem, recently they sent every unit in our complex a special assessment of $1000 for all the damages that the HOA had to pay last year and this year. I don't feel like I should pay this assessment due to the fact that I’m not even sure my problems are fixed and to the fact that fixing took 6 months! $1000 is a lot of money, I feel like we are getting ripped off. I don't know what our HOA is doing with our money. I need help what should I do. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Serena
**A: you are required to pay the assessment. Hire an attorney to send a demand letter to the HOA for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">