• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA wants me to pay for "tie-in"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdrector

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Townhome community. Homes face each other with a common grass and sidewalk area in between. Homes have approx. 6-8ft of property prior to the sidewalk which becomes common, then common grassy area, sidewalk, then homeowners property again. Rear of homes are alley-way. HOA is concerned of run off in front of homes going into common area from sump-pumps and drain gutters causing errosion(in the common area) and some debri and mud on sidewalks. HOA has agreed to pay for a main drain pipe and drain gate in the center courts to help problem.
My issue is they have hand selected several homes which they and the landscaper believe have contributed mostly to or more so to the problem and have sent notices that these homeowners must pay an additional $200 to have there rain gutter and sump drain tied into this main drain. This would consist of digging and placing a plastic flex drain pipe from my gutter and sump drain to there main flex pipe in the common area.
Do I have to allow this?
Do I have a right to tie in myself or contracting someone else of my choice to do this?
Am I responsible to pay for this?
Thanks

HomeGuru

rdrector said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland
Townhome community. Homes face each other with a common grass and sidewalk area in between. Homes have approx. 6-8ft of property prior to the sidewalk which becomes common, then common grassy area, sidewalk, then homeowners property again. Rear of homes are alley-way. HOA is concerned of run off in front of homes going into common area from sump-pumps and drain gutters causing errosion(in the common area) and some debri and mud on sidewalks. HOA has agreed to pay for a main drain pipe and drain gate in the center courts to help problem.
My issue is they have hand selected several homes which they and the landscaper believe have contributed mostly to or more so to the problem and have sent notices that these homeowners must pay an additional $200 to have there rain gutter and sump drain tied into this main drain. This would consist of digging and placing a plastic flex drain pipe from my gutter and sump drain to there main flex pipe in the common area.
Do I have to allow this?

**A: yes.
Do I have a right to tie in myself or contracting someone else of my choice to do this?

**A: no and possibly
Am I responsible to pay for this?

yes
Thanks

**A: ok......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">