• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home owners association and County

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dennis4047

What is the name of your state? Fla.
I bought a home in a 55+ community, we have a home owners association to which I am required to pay a monthly fee which part of that fee is to go for street / road repairs.
I paid for this home and land and have deed.
The county I live in requires me to pay a yearly tax on this property, some of which is to go for street and road repair.

NOW, my question is this.
I pay both the County and the Home owners association for street and road repair and up keep.
The County and the Home owners association do not own the roads and streets, they belong to the developer. The county will not fix the roads, they are not theirs. The Home owners association dosen't want to fix them, they belong to the Developer.
SO why am I required to pay a double tax for this service I do not recieve?
What can I do about this situation?

ENASNI

Dennis4047 said:
What is the name of your state? Fla.
I bought a home in a 55+ community, we have a home owners association to which I am required to pay a monthly fee which part of that fee is to go for street / road repairs.
I paid for this home and land and have deed.
The county I live in requires me to pay a yearly tax on this property, some of which is to go for street and road repair.

NOW, my question is this.
I pay both the County and the Home owners association for street and road repair and up keep.
The County and the Home owners association do not own the roads and streets, they belong to the developer. The county will not fix the roads, they are not theirs. The Home owners association dosen't want to fix them, they belong to the Developer.
What can I do about this situation?

SO why am I required to pay a double tax for this service I do not recieve?
Why indeed?? :confused:

Look I do not understand why you would be paying fees to the HOA for something they will not do.
The county taxes are a different animal all together, I am not fighting city (county) hall for you.

But the thing is where is this Developer in this racket?

Dennis4047

The current developer owns all the vacant lots, and the streets / roads in the phase two area, our area. We have no contact with him, but we were told that we belong to this Homeowners Association and the fourteen new homes on this road pay to the association, we are allowed to use the pool and club house, which is in another area called a phase one area. These developers have no interest in the phase one area.
Where one of the problem seems to be is that the original developer sold out to another developer who currently owns the lots and streets / roads in the phase two area.
Not sure how we ended up being attached to the phase one area.
Confusing it is.
Thanks

ENASNI

Dennis4047 said:
The current developer owns all the vacant lots, and the streets / roads in the phase two area, our area. We have no contact with him, but we were told that we belong to this Homeowners Association and the fourteen new homes on this road pay to the association, we are allowed to use the pool and club house, which is in another area called a phase one area. These developers have no interest in the phase one area.
Where one of the problem seems to be is that the original developer sold out to another developer who currently owns the lots and streets / roads in the phase two area.
Not sure how we ended up being attached to the phase one area.
Confusing it is.
Thanks
The thing when it comes to HOAs more than one little ol Dennis needs to squeek I mean speak up.
One squeeky wheel does not make the machine get rolling. If the roads/streets need to be kept up and aren't being done so, then you need to approach the HOA and find out why they are not doing anything. ( Like talking to the developer) But more than just little ol' Dennis. Get friends, romans countryman with you. Squeek in numbers!!!

justalayman

Just a note concerning the county road taxes; the taxes you pay to the county are not just for the road you live on, they are for all of the county roads. It won't do any good to try and fight the county on this one.

Dennis4047

Thanks for the responses.
BUT, the question is why do I have to pay the association a fee to never fix anything they do not own.. Why am I required to pay that portion of the association dues?
Is not the developer responsible for his roads and streets? Maybe I should be paying him this fee, ugh, it gets worse dosen't it?
Purchasing a home in a developement with a homeowners association gives us the right to pay taxes, pay association dues, pay for the home and land and give up all rights that an owner should have in this country as far as his homeownership is concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">