• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I condo-ize my duplex?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joan Schaan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
I co-own a duplex with a friend. We want to condo-ize it and keep separate our finances. How and where do I start?
Is there an application or petition I need to comlete?
Is there a company, possibly a property management firm that can assist me?
Do I need a lawyer?
Do I contact the county? (Multnomah County) Do I need the county to approve the request.
What type of fees/costs can I expect?
There are mostly single home dwellings in the neighborhood, however, there are a few other duplexes.

FarmerJ

Before even speaking to a atty one thing you can do is learn from your city/ county govt center what must be done to the property in order to meet local ords for condominium conversion as far as building codes go. Example will they require you to sound proof between the units ? Will they require new entrance to any basement in order for the other unit to have access to shared plumbing or a heating system serving that unit? This is where the city /county zoning dept or building inspector can really be of assistance so any changes that have to be made can be planned and permitted and all done with no surprises. I cannot think of any reason they would refuse you permits to do this if the structure currently is zoned to permit a duplex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">