• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inaction by Homeowners Assocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

expeegee

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in a townhouse community and 33 of the 131 units have roof leaks related to faulty construction. The Homeowners Association and Management Company have made various minor repairs, none of which have solved the problem. The ceiling in my living room and the ceiling / walls in my bedroom are ruined. I'd like to join forces with the other 32 owners to force action -- at a minimum, installing tarps on the roofs to prevent further damage until a permanent solution is found. Some questions: (a) can we begin paying our monthly association fees into an escrow account until action is taken? (b) do we have any recourse as far as the expenses we will incur to restore the interiors of our homes? Is there any thing else we can do?!

HomeGuru

expeegee said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in a townhouse community and 33 of the 131 units have roof leaks related to faulty construction. The Homeowners Association and Management Company have made various minor repairs, none of which have solved the problem. The ceiling in my living room and the ceiling / walls in my bedroom are ruined. I'd like to join forces with the other 32 owners to force action -- at a minimum, installing tarps on the roofs to prevent further damage until a permanent solution is found. Some questions: (a) can we begin paying our monthly association fees into an escrow account until action is taken? (b) do we have any recourse as far as the expenses we will incur to restore the interiors of our homes? Is there any thing else we can do?!
**A: no, you can't stop paying the HOA the fees. See a HOA attorney. There may be a claim against the insurance co., developer, and the current HOA.

Last edited:

jwa416

HOA in CA paid for roof repair

Hi,
When our 41 unit townhome development in CA had recent roof leaks (roof replaced 6 years ago),HOA funds paid for roof repairs. The HOA had to approve the contractor and estimate before work was done. Also, repainting the interior ceilings in 2 bedrooms were covered by HOA funds. I picked my own painter and subimitted the bill to our management company and was reimbursed.
It depends on insurance, but filing claims ends up costing more in increased premiums later. HOA funds need to cover the exterior and be built into the budget.
I do not always have it so easy on other issues with our HOA, but the roof was covered. We now have a special assessment for termite damage repairs and tenting...our reserves got too low!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">