• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just how much can the HOA charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daytonacatfish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

As a owner in a HOA community I have been watching the late charges for late dues payments grow and grow. When I questioned the management company handling our HOA about the price of the fee, $25 on a $55 monthly fee, I was informed that they thought it was rather high but sure it had been passed by the board of directors making it the law in our association!

Am I just a penny pincher (sure I am) or is this rather extreme. We aren't a high priced development, but a blue collar working stiffs community. I've checked our docks and the fee charge for late dues is not included.

Thanks

As a owner in a HOA community I have been watching the late charges for late dues payments grow and grow. When I questioned the management company handling our HOA about the price of the fee, $25 on a $55 monthly fee, I was informed that they thought it was rather high but sure it had been passed by the board of directors making it the law in our association!

Am I just a penny pincher (sure I am) or is this rather extreme. We aren't a high priced development, but a blue collar working stiffs community. I've checked our docks and the fee charge for late dues is not included.

Thanks
They are within their right to set the price for a late fee. $25 seems more than reasonable. Heck, $55 a month for your monthly due sounds nice. Mine is $265 each month!

FarmerJ

Its likely that late payments have become a problem so the increase is a way to discourage late payment.

HomeGuru

Thanks
**A: ask for a copy of the Board minutes approving such charges.

Daytonacatfish

I'll run out to our money tree and just pick a couple fresh fives!

Its likely that late payments have become a problem so the increase is a way to discourage late payment.
:

I'd pay on time if I had the money on time. Do you have a job or are you independently wealth? Thanks for your input, wish it was that easy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">