• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lack of Fire Lane enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caslon

What is the name of your state? California

2 months ago I bought a condo. Each unit shares a common fire lane where garages are.
We have an HOA who I assume has hired a large managing firm that takes care of day to day
management.
Above all the garages are where bedrooms are located.

There are 2 units with renters who are constantly parking in front of their garages daily and
nightly. Garages are located in a Fire Lane alley (private condo property).
This leads to noisy comings and goings and is disrupting my sleep and my health.
I've documented with pictures and submitted them to the management company as per complaint form instructions. I've submitted this twice now to Ginah, who is in charge of that department. She assured me she would email the security patrol. Nothing has been done.
No increased security patrol. In fact...the tenents now honk their horns as if to say...
"You can't do a thing about it."
I haven't met with the HOA yet...but will next time they meet.

I feel I have no recource but to file some kind of lawsuit if this continues.
Then again, the HOA or management company might say it's our right to
enforce laws as we want to (STATE FIRE CODE violations???!!!). They may argue that
they have a reasonable security patrol set up.
I have well documented proof to the contrary.

I feel the lack of enforcement of fire code violations and the "obnoxious noise" which is also prohibited is actually leading to the depreciation of my property. The main description of the HOA is to "help increase value...."

Somethings gotta give. Police will not respond even tho they could cite violators (police are too busy). Should I contact the Fire Marshall? Probably would not do any good.
I will meet with the HOA...but I'm wondering if I'll ever get any sleep.

Caslon

I'm really not impressed that noone repsonded to this post.
Condo managing compaines are different, ...this one has a huge building in an industrial complex.
Follow up.

Without having had to show up at an HOA meeting, my numerous photos depicting parking in firelane (and tenents taking advantage) must have finally had some effect.
A supervisor finally went past her sub and may have sent out a notice to those tenents.
The security squad patrol still sucks.

These tenents no longer are noisely parking their cars at garage in fire zone at will...above every other condo's bedroom-late nite early morning. So far..that is. Something appears to have got accomplished on my part.

I seem to have gotten results taking digital snap shots/documents...submitting them to the managing company without having to go to an HOA meeting. It took 3 trips to managing company headquarters with same.

You can't let one freaking tenent(s) dictate the sleeping habits of the entire area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">