• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laundry dilema

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cburdikoff

What is the name of your state? Mass.
When our condo trust was started by the builder he signed a 10yr contract with a laundry company that supplies the 2 buildings with units. First I would like to know if a 10yr contract is legal.
There are no issues with the laundry company except that the condo owners would like to collectively purchase our own washers and dryers for the buildings and would not like to be under this stiff contract. It is a 50-50% split of the $$ at this time between the company and the condo association.
It also states that owners are NOT allowed to have washers and dryers in their own units during the time of the contract.
One possible way to get out of it would be the machines were installed years before this particualr contract was signed. (the condos were apartments before and used this same service) it states that the contract starts from the time that the machines were installed. These machines were already installed back in '92.
This contract also states that they need 365 dyas written notice for us to cancel the contract and that there is a surcharge for it....it is an obscene amount of $$.
I am trying to look into MA law and find out if a 10yr contract is legal but I have yet to find anything.

HomeGuru

cburdikoff said:
What is the name of your state? Mass.
When our condo trust was started by the builder he signed a 10yr contract with a laundry company that supplies the 2 buildings with units. First I would like to know if a 10yr contract is legal.

**A: yes it is legal and such contract should have been disclosed upon purchade of the condo unit.

There are no issues with the laundry company except that the condo owners would like to collectively purchase our own washers and dryers for the buildings and would not like to be under this stiff contract. It is a 50-50% split of the $$ at this time between the company and the condo association.
It also states that owners are NOT allowed to have washers and dryers in their own units during the time of the contract.
One possible way to get out of it would be the machines were installed years before this particualr contract was signed. (the condos were apartments before and used this same service) it states that the contract starts from the time that the machines were installed. These machines were already installed back in '92.
This contract also states that they need 365 dyas written notice for us to cancel the contract and that there is a surcharge for it....it is an obscene amount of $$.
I am trying to look into MA law and find out if a 10yr contract is legal but I have yet to find anything.

**A: the HOA must buy out the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">