• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

By Laws / CCRs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ralphf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Conflict between CCR's / Bylaws

I know CCR's supersede Bylaws...

without getting into all the detail...

Bylaw amendment proposed that requires subjective terms to be defined in a document by the board prior to action being taken on those terms. So something like "good condition" has to be defined in some way.

The HOA attorney is of the opinion that the contradicts and is therefore not valid because it is an attempt to amend the CCR's without going through the process.

I believe that it would be more similar for example to gun laws. Gun laws are not invalid because the constitution says right to bear arms and something else defines what that means in more detail. Same example with freedom of speech but we have regulations for language on public airwaves.

I told the attorney this and asked for a reply and they just said "Oh that is just a typical homeowner response" However the attorney did not give me any justification or reasoning why my logic does not work.

justalayman

Your statements are very vague so it is difficult to address your concerns accurately but unless the inclusion of a definition would be in contrast to the CC&R's or cause the bylaw itself to countermand the CC&Rs, I see no problem with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">