• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer was abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffincentre

About a year ago, I was going through a financial hardship and got behind on my condo fees which are about $400.00/month including assessments. I was contacted by an attorney for the condo association and entered into an agreement to make payments of $900 monthly until caught up. Everything is paid and the law firm has released the lein.
The problem with this whole deal is that the law firm never sent me statments showing where any of my money was applied and would only send me a payoff balance if requested and balance was always higher than I thought it should be and always more than I could afford to pay. (I finally had to borrow money to make a $2000 payment to get this stressful situation off of my back).
I don't have everything fully calculated but I believe that this bill would never have been able to be paid off under the agreement that was made meaning the attorney and condo fees billed monthly would never have let me get caught up had I not made the large payment to get rid of this.
The law firm's rep promised me (I have her message on my voice mail) a detail of the transactions (fees, interest, new monthly condo fees) but now that I have paid everything has not sent me anything.
Do I have any rights in a case like this? Is this a situation where they just charge anything they want to? How can this be fair and do I have any rights such as taking this to small claims court, or contacing the president of the condo board?
By the way, I understand I have a resonsibility to pay the bill but don't like dealing with what I would consider to be on the same level as legalized loan sharking.What is the name of your state? Maryland

seniorjudge

jeffincentre said:
About a year ago, I was going through a financial hardship and got behind on my condo fees which are about $400.00/month including assessments. I was contacted by an attorney for the condo association and entered into an agreement to make payments of $900 monthly until caught up. Everything is paid and the law firm has released the lein.
The problem with this whole deal is that the law firm never sent me statments showing where any of my money was applied and would only send me a payoff balance if requested and balance was always higher than I thought it should be and always more than I could afford to pay. (I finally had to borrow money to make a $2000 payment to get this stressful situation off of my back).
I don't have everything fully calculated but I believe that this bill would never have been able to be paid off under the agreement that was made meaning the attorney and condo fees billed monthly would never have let me get caught up had I not made the large payment to get rid of this.
The law firm's rep promised me (I have her message on my voice mail) a detail of the transactions (fees, interest, new monthly condo fees) but now that I have paid everything has not sent me anything.
Do I have any rights in a case like this? Is this a situation where they just charge anything they want to? How can this be fair and do I have any rights such as taking this to small claims court, or contacing the president of the condo board?
By the way, I understand I have a resonsibility to pay the bill but don't like dealing with what I would consider to be on the same level as legalized loan sharking.What is the name of your state? Maryland

You paid the bill off and lien is released.

What else do you want?

wayne-o

Chances are the lawyer is charging you what the board tells him to. You should be able to get an accounting from the board or the management company that handles your condos. The lawyer will add his fees on this as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">