• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left on the street?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshwoods

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Here is my situation, at the beginning of June someone offered me their co-op townhouse unit. At the time they owned the property, so I got with the managers secretary and filled out applications for me and my fiancee at $40 each. We were accepted by their requirements so once again I went to the co-op offices. I let them know my situation which being I had to give my current landlord a 30 day notice before I could move out. The secretary told me I should get on that so im ready to move in once the property owner removes her stuff and inspections get done. So I gave my landlord 30 day notice and moved all my stuff in a storage unit while waiting for the place to be ready for me. In the meantime the lady im buying the property off of falls behind on her monthly carrying charges then they kick her out and take over the unit. Now they say they have nothing to do with private sales and only chance of moving in is to buy the unit off them which is way more expensive then my agreement with the lady I was going to buy the unit off of. So I feel that i'm totally screwed over here with no place to live, is there anything legally I can do to make this place mine still?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What does your purchase contract state with regard to the seller breaching the contract?

joshwoods

I have no purchase contract, I was told we could do all paperwork when she handed over the key to them for inspections.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have no purchase contract, I was told we could do all paperwork when she handed over the key to them for inspections.
Then, if you want to buy the unit, your option is to pay the current asking price.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Here is my situation, at the beginning of June someone offered me their co-op townhouse unit. At the time they owned the property, so I got with the managers secretary and filled out applications for me and my fiancee at $40 each. We were accepted by their requirements so once again I went to the co-op offices. I let them know my situation which being I had to give my current landlord a 30 day notice before I could move out. The secretary told me I should get on that so im ready to move in once the property owner removes her stuff and inspections get done. So I gave my landlord 30 day notice and moved all my stuff in a storage unit while waiting for the place to be ready for me. In the meantime the lady im buying the property off of falls behind on her monthly carrying charges then they kick her out and take over the unit. Now they say they have nothing to do with private sales and only chance of moving in is to buy the unit off them which is way more expensive then my agreement with the lady I was going to buy the unit off of. So I feel that i'm totally screwed over here with no place to live, is there anything legally I can do to make this place mine still?
I agree with Zigner. You have no claim to the property at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">