• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien due to prior owner unpaid HOA fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I bought a foreclosure that was deep in arrears with HOA (Home Owner Association) fees. I purchased title insurance and the closing went smoothly. The contract was predicated on all liens vacated and clear title being delivered to me.

I recently received a demand for $37,000 in past HOA dues and attorney fees along with a threat of placing a lien on the property. This is from the law firm the HOA uses for collections. I now find out that the title company did not file an estopple during the closing which I was under the impression was necessary. Attorney for title company claims estopple was not needed to be filed.

Further researching Florida law, I found the maximum I can be liable for 6 months of past HOA dues (Florida statute 718.116 (1) (B) (1). Would this not a fraudulent lien being placed on my property seeing how it is a "willful exaggeration" as outlined in Florida statute 731.31 (2) (a)?

Is the title insurer liable for this since in essence I was not given clear title?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">