• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Management Co. Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Babsbar

I live in a condo in Brooklyn,NY. We purchased it one year ago as one large open space with plans to build bedroom walls once NYC tax exemption rulings were met. The ruling was just met and I was instructed by our board to submit our very basic construction plans to our management co. for approval. Unbeknownst to us, they are asking for $350 fee just to "process" this request. Is this ordinary? To us, it's gouging and we were NEVER informed that this would be required. Secondly, our condo by-laws state that non-structual alterations do not need board approval. Can someone tell me the legal definition of non-structual? Thank you. BB

You Are Guilty

Babsbar said:
I live in a condo in Brooklyn,NY. We purchased it one year ago as one large open space with plans to build bedroom walls once NYC tax exemption rulings were met. The ruling was just met and I was instructed by our board to submit our very basic construction plans to our management co. for approval. Unbeknownst to us, they are asking for $350 fee just to "process" this request. Is this ordinary?
In NYC, you can expect a fee for just about everything.
To us, it's gouging and we were NEVER informed that this would be required. Secondly, our condo by-laws state that non-structual alterations do not need board approval. Can someone tell me the legal definition of non-structual? Thank you. BB
No such thing, read the definitions section in your bylaws. (As a matter of engineering/common sense, non-structural means you should be able to throw up some sheetrock room dividers.)

JWL

If the condo by-laws state that non-structual alterations do not need board approval, partition walls (interior non-load-bearing walls) are not structural, and therefore do not need Board approval. But read the docs and bylaws completely to be sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">