• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

manager of co op

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauras2u3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Illinois

I think this situation is a bit odd, my sisters and I all agreed i should get my mothers co op. My elder sister filled out the illinois form for small estate affidavit (the worth of the unit is not high) and gave it to me unsigned stating i must sign and have notarized.

I was shocked, i thought she should sign it, mom always said she was executor, but it turned out there was no will it and my mothers idea of estate planning was to spend all the money and to put my elder sisters name on her accounts so we could get to them. The illinois form looked like a joke. I did much internet research where i got some really bad information then i called the probate court, it turns out this form is correct and does not need to be filed with the state. I notarized my signed form but i asked all three of my sisters for a signed notarized letter stating that they have no claim upon the co op.

I filed the small estate affidavit with the co op, no letters from my sisters were here yet.

Now the question: My elder sister never could figure out what was her business and what wasn't called the co op office and spoke to the manager about this letter, not sure what else she spoke of. About the letter, i feel it does not cross a line to have the manager of the co op tell her that this letter would help matters but my question is:

Knowing that i am the sole claimant of the coop, how much can the manager discuss my situation with my sister?

You Are Guilty

Knowing that i am the sole claimant of the coop, how much can the manager discuss my situation with my sister?
100% whatever she likes. Barring a court order stating otherwise, they are free to discuss the unit, your income, the number of times a day you brush you teeth, the sexcapades you will be having in the new apartment... you get the idea.

Unprofessional =/= illegal.

lauras2u3

wow

100% whatever she likes. Barring a court order stating otherwise, they are free to discuss the unit, your income, the number of times a day you brush you teeth, the sexcapades you will be having in the new apartment... you get the idea.

Unprofessional =/= illegal.
I am shocked at this response, i did find out they had discussed much more than if i needed those letters. I am getting those for me not for mary at the office, she has no rights to them as the small estate affidavit covers my legal obligations to inform the office. Like i said my sister does not know her own business and i would prefer my argument with the office over the bylaws not to include her....

so mary has the right to discuss this stuff with whomever she feels like?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am shocked at this response, i did find out they had discussed much more than if i needed those letters. I am getting those for me not for mary at the office, she has no rights to them as the small estate affidavit covers my legal obligations to inform the office. Like i said my sister does not know her own business and i would prefer my argument with the office over the bylaws not to include her....

You got your answer above...it doesn't change just because you ask the question again.

tranquility

The government has a little problem stopping it.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
If she is telling the truth, there is no defamation. If the facts are already known by a person who does not have special duties (like a tax preparer and personal financial information), there is not a public disclosure of private information. Unless the specific information you are talking about has statutory protection (SSN#'s perhaps), I don't see what can be done to stop the sharing legally. Perhaps you can tell the owner(s) of the property what the manager is doing in an attempt to get rid of her.

lauras2u3

thank u so much for the replies, i guess in my mind the manager of a co op is not the standard person on the street. I will bring it up at the board meeting tomorrow night. This might not be illegal but it is certainly unprofessional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">