• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Member in Good Standing Definition"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aee29445

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I am on a homeowner's board in a townhome development. Our covenants specify that members must be "in good standing" in order to cast a vote, but the covenants do not further define that term. In the absence of an explicitly worded definition, is there an accepted use of that term? If there were to be any exemptions or exclusions from the generally accepted definition, would those have to be defined in the covenants? Thank you very much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NC Aggie

I would think that this would need to be defined more explicitly within the covenant. I would assume, however, it would be a member of the HOA who is not delinquent on any HOA assessments and fines. However, it could also include or reference to code violations.

dmcc10880

NC Aggie pretty much summed it up. As a board member of a condo association, we look at members in good standing as those who are up to date on their dues and other assessments and living within the terms and conditions set forth in the condo docs.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I am on a homeowner's board in a townhome development. Our covenants specify that members must be "in good standing" in order to cast a vote, but the covenants do not further define that term. In the absence of an explicitly worded definition, is there an accepted use of that term? If there were to be any exemptions or exclusions from the generally accepted definition, would those have to be defined in the covenants? Thank you very much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: your Board really needs to hire an attorney to review the docs and render a legal opinion as the Board could really be liable for not letting an owner cast a vote for say a minor house rule violation when such would be considered being not in good standing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">