• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a move out fee legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cassandrawht

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I own a small studio apartment in a 30 story building. I rented that studio out 5 years ago to a wonderful tenant.
Last month, she informed me she would be moving out at the end of October. 3 days ago, she told me that she
was out of the apartment. I go over today to look the place over (she's the cleanest person in the world), and I
tell the management office one renter is gone and I wanted to go through the process of getting the new tenant
approved. The manager got upset. He says my renter can't move out without paying a move out fee of $150. I
had never heard of such a thing. Apparently, this was something the board voted in a couple of years ago. My
question is: Is it legal to charge a person a fee, just for moving out? And if it is, my tenant moved in 5 years ago.
Her lease does not contain any such fee. It's not in the 2010 building's bylaws either. (It's in my new tenant's
bylaws). It just doesn't sound fair or legal to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">