• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My HOA sent me letter about security camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fairways

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My hoa sent me a letter about my security camera on my property.
Can they make me remove them i need them for my property and piece of mind
Can i get legal action on them my city and police dept say there ok here. Thanks

strongbus

1. What do the HOA bylaws state about security camera's. When you entered into the contract with the HOA you agreed to follow those bylaws.

2. What dose the letter say bout the camera's? dose it state that under the bylaws security camera are not permitted, or that you have the wrong type?

3. Dose the town/city you live in have rules stating that if they say something can be on your property, such as in this case security cameras then the HOA can not tell you that you can't have them. (don't know bout CA but I know here in my state there are a few towns that have out right told HOA that they can't stop someone form doing something the town has said people can do)

Fairways

1. What do the HOA bylaws state about security camera's. When you entered into the contract with the HOA you agreed to follow those bylaws.

2. What dose the letter say bout the camera's? dose it state that under the bylaws security camera are not permitted, or that you have the wrong type?

3. Dose the town/city you live in have rules stating that if they say something can be on your property, such as in this case security cameras then the HOA can not tell you that you can't have them. (don't know bout CA but I know here in my state there are a few towns that have out right told HOA that they can't stop someone form doing something the town has said people can do)
Thanks for reply
There is no mention of cameras in bylaws
Now they sent me a application for a archtectual comitiee approval?
They cant make up there mind what to send me?
In need of legal advise

strongbus

Now they sent me a application for a archtectual comitiee approval?

this right here would seem to state that while they have no issues with you having security cameras, you didn't go though the right steps to get them approved. 10 to 1 odds that the way you have the cameras setup and placed dose not fit with how they like stuff done. Such as if you have the cameras out in the open where they are visable. Some HOA in order to make ever thing look good and not out of place would want something such as cameras hidden or placed in areas that are not going be an eyesore.

Fairways

this right here would seem to state that while they have no issues with you having security cameras, you didn't go though the right steps to get them approved. 10 to 1 odds that the way you have the cameras setup and placed dose not fit with how they like stuff done. Such as if you have the cameras out in the open where they are visable. Some HOA in order to make ever thing look good and not out of place would want something such as cameras hidden or placed in areas that are not going be an eyesore.
Thanks for reply
The cameras are mounted under the eves of my garage looking at my property
Its funny how others have alot of eye sore setups in our hoa. Ill wait if anyone
Would take my claim to sue them there not enforcing any violations in our community.....thanks all for response.

exterior is under the rules

I have been and am currently a member of the board of governors for 2 condo associations.

All exterior of the buildings in under the rules and control of the Association. You signed documents when you purchased the place that you would abide by those rules.

One of those rules is always that you will make no changes, additions, removals to the exterior of the property without prior approval.

You have no case to sue the HOA...and they do have the absolute right to require the removal and take action against you for breaking the rules.

Take it down..and go to the next meeting to present your case to put them back up.

Fairways

Hoa on security cameras

There are many homeowners here who are in violation can i ask for a few years worth of arctitecture commitiees forms that many homeowners never had approval. Thanks for response

boardmember

HOA cannot single you out

The HOA board cannot single you out.

They do have the right to maintain the exterior of your home.....they can also make new rules that are not currently there if they don't like something you are doing and they don't currently have any rules about it.

But they must use the same standard with you and yours as they would with any other member of the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">