• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my unit has had several leaks and HOA is not responsive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prokni

the property is in CA.
Over the past year, my unit has had several leaks and water issues. HOA has sent the contractor to fix it 3 times and still it is leaking. I have a tenant and she is been pretty patinet with me so far. I contacted the contractor and ask him about the repair and he said that the roof is too old ot be repaired anymore and it needs to get changed but HOA has to approve it. I contacted thme and they said that Board members are in the process of reviewing the plan. Make the story short, still they have not changed it and they are not responsive to my queries anymore. So my question is
1 - Can I hire the contractor to change the roof and try to get it from HOA after the fact since I am responsible for my tenant and I can ont wait any more for HOA action?
2 - Should I sue HOA or board memebrs? Who is responsible for that?
3- What kind of attorney, I should look for to get legal help?

Thanks

Last edited:

seniorjudge

prokni said:
the property is in CA.
Over the past year, my unit has had several leaks and water issues. HOA has sent the contractor to fix it 3 times and still it is leaking. I have a tenant and she is been pretty patinet with me so far. I contacted the contractor and ask him about the repair and he said that the roof is too old ot be repaired anymore and it needs to get changed but HOA has to approve it. I contacted thme and they said that Board members are in the process of reviewing the plan. Make the story short, still they have not changed it and they are not responsive to my queries anymore. So my question is
1 - Can I hire the contractor to change the roof and try to get it from HOA after the fact since I am responsible for my tenant and I can ont wait any more for HOA action?
2 - Should I sue HOA or board memebrs? Who is responsible for that?
3- What kind of attorney, I should look for to get legal help?

Thanks

Get a lawyer ($10K and about three years ought to cover it) and, while you are at it, run for the board.

HomeGuru

seniorjudge said:
Get a lawyer ($10K and about three years ought to cover it) and, while you are at it, run for the board.

**A: this is CA, add another $20K and another 2 years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">